AIP-303: Bored Ape Yacht Club Documentary

Hey @GutterDoug.eth We made a decision early on not to take the project out to buyers until we felt it was ready. When we first started making the film in 2021, no one knew what Bored Ape Yacht Club was and our agency did not even have a web3 division, etc. So we decided to start making the film independently through our own company as we knew no one would be as passionate about telling this story as we were.

So why are we approaching the DAO now? We’ve always found inspiration from the opportunities and creative potential presented in web3, and now that we are at this stage in production, we wanted to focus our attention to the DAO as a way to include and involve the community directly. Sure, we could pursue traditional funding options and presales, but those are often predatory to artists / creators. Feels like this route aligns more with the ethos of the club and theme of the movie. We’re exploring and documenting this whole new world of IP/creative ownership and we think it would be amazing to show the audience how that helped partially fund the very movie they are watching.

5 Likes

Oh forgot to add that we’ll have footage and lots of BTS stuff ready to share when we go live with the official AIP.

3 Likes

I thought it was excellent, I agree with @Sasha point of view, if we had some materials for us to see, it would be more accessible for the whole community to be able to see this incredible work you mentioned.

2 Likes

Thanks, Francis, love to hear about founders interviews. I think specifying where/when and with whom exactly, sharing stills, etc. is what I really meant by giving more info.

If you have so much footage, you can easily create teasers, too. A picture speaks a thousand words - you know this better than anyone. You can use it to your advantage when posting a proposal.

3 Likes

Btw, do you intend to cover the DAO in this movie? IMHO you should. Very… popcorn’y in parts, and inspiring and future-looking in other parts. It is certainly a part of BAYC journey given they founded it and also given even current $ape distribution. I think it would add a level of depth. I ofc do understand if it’s out of scope; there’s a lot to cover.

3 Likes

Looking forward to this! :fire:

3 Likes

Imagine all apes gather in an IMAX to watch the movie premier at APEFEST.

7 Likes

This sounds so good! Just curious, can you guys show us some BTS since its nearly completed. Excited to see what you guys have done so far

2 Likes

@FrancisBoredApela

This proposal is awesome, definitely, something that would help the ecosystem, imagining that this makes it to Netflix & other streaming services is very exciting & presents huge upside to the branding & expansion of BAYC :exploding_head: :heart:

3 Likes

Ohhh I’m soooo excited about this and so happy to see this kind of proposal on here!!! I’m currently a post-producer and editor in unscripted/reality so if you are hiring within the community, I would love to throw my name in!

A few questions - have you started pitching this? What kind of response you’ve gotten? Any thoughts on non-traditional distribution?

Best of luck!!! Looking forward to seeing this manifest!!

2 Likes

I like the idea of a Documentary, would love to learn more.

3 Likes

I think a BAYC documentary would be dope. Got a teaser or anything you can share yet?

2 Likes

Wow this would be really dope to have

1 Like

Thanks! Yes! We’ll have a bunch of materials and footage to show once the AIP goes live!

1 Like

Yeah, we definitely plan to include the DAO and AIP process in the film itself. We think it’s a great way to show an audience the functionality and power of the DAO by having it featured in a film it partially funded.

2 Likes

Yeah! We’ll have a bunch of stuff to show once the official AIP goes live.

1 Like

Amazing! Yeah! We’d love to hire as many crew from within the community as possible! DM us!

As far as pitching it around we haven’t taken it to market yet. Our agents are very bullish on the project and the footage we’ve shot so far, but we made a decision early on not to take the project out to buyers until we felt it was ready/finished. When we first started making the film in 2021, no one knew what Bored Ape Yacht Club was and our agency did not even have a web3 division, etc. So we decided to start making the film independently.

We felt like this route of seeking finishing funds through the DAO aligns more with the ethos of the club and theme of the movie. We’ve been exploring and documenting this whole new world of IP/creative ownership/community projects and we think it would be amazing to show the audience how that helped partially fund the very movie they are watching.

On non-traditional distribution were open to any and everything but we haven’t really begun going down those roads yet. Our goal is to get as many people as possible all over the world to watch this movie. We’re open to whatever makes that possible and is best for the movie.

3 Likes

Looking forward to seeing the materials and snippets of footage on what you have done so far. I am sure with those previews we will be able to have a better understanding and gauge

This synergizes well with the AIP we proposed, would love to chat with you on Twitter, or hear some feedback on the Draft I posted. Voted this proposal up! These type pf AIP’s are the type that will move the ecosystem forward in a big way!

1 Like

Great to get active members from the ApeCoin Dao included in this. Nice to show how the Dao is taking the ecosystem to the next level.

3 Likes