AIP-406: ApeCoin DAO multi-year partnership with Redacted, a Formula One Team

Yo, that’s awesome, very excited Ape x formula 1

Wow a partnership with a F1 team, super bullish on the exposure it is going to bring to apecoin

2 Likes

the proposal seem like a step forward to create more awareness for the Apecoin brand towards plus the exposure Dao get from this proposal, business wise would be massive. hoping to see what the team ships out.

1 Like

I’m watching qualifying right now and Nico Hulkenberg is smashing it with Haas. So I’d encourage whoever is in contact with Haas to tell them to just go public and disclose who they are. It’s an easy vote yes to me if they do that.

Haas is a quirky team, $APE is a quirky coin. Match made in heaven. Nico gives me enough hope that Haas will at least have a shot at competing in the mid-field this year to support this. Now let’s get Haas to show enough faith in the DAO to be willing to actually disclose who they are.

4 Likes

I’m a big f1 fan I’m very excited for this🔥

1 Like

A fan of F1 and I support the idea :bulb:

1 Like

Hi @Ape.Admin,

The community feedback period for this proposal would be ending in less than 24 hours.

• If you’re content with the feedback received, the next steps are to finalize the proposal using the AIP Draft Template.

• A moderator will reach out to finalize the AIP Draft. Upon receipt of the final Draft, we will review and provide instructions on the next steps.

• Are you ready to proceed to the next phase or do you wish to extend community discussion for another 7 days?

We look forward to hearing from you.

-@Facilitators

1 Like

Please proceed to the next phase.

Thank you everyone for engaging in the Idea phase! It has been fantastic to see the community’s reaction. We’ll have additional changes to make in the draft.

2 Likes

Hi @BoredApeG,

Thank you for your assistance in moving forward with these idea [and the ApeCoin DAO community for the insightful discussions].

A moderator will reach out to the author to finalize the AIP Draft using the appropriate template.

• Once the AIP Draft is confirmed by the author and meets all DAO-approved guidelines, it will receive an AIP ID number and move forward for Draft Analysis Review.
  • @BoredApeG & @Ape.Admin please see your messages for the next step.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. In accordance with DAO-approved guidelines, if the author does not respond within 30 days, the proposal will be automatically transferred to the Withdrawn category, and the author can re-submit the idea.

-@Facilitators

it would be a damn good initiative, im personally watching nearly all formula one races and there’s already some crypto projects present there, formula 1 have large audience and it will truly benefit to Apecoin DAO visibility. voted :blush:

While the idea of associating with a global sports team is exciting, this isn’t the right package or approach in my opinion. Thoughts below:

Formula 1 & the Redacted Team

To include the F1 logo at the forefront of the proposal is disingenuous. It’s not a partnership with F1, which does offer massive exposure for a significant price, it’s a partnership with a team, where value is much more diluted. The fact that the proposal focused on the growth of the sport, rather than the team, is a further indication that the team pulls most of its value from F1 rather than its own reach.

F1 had a massive revival in recent years, thanks in large part to Drive to Survive and the growth of the sport in the US. However, attention is diminishing and brands are increasingly moving away from the sport due to diminishing returns. Deals that were signed with teams at the top of the hype cycle are coming to an end and I expect many of these brands to shift away from F1 after the 2024 season.

The “benefit to apecoin ecosystem” of “unparalleled brand exposure” isn’t clarified. There are other sports and teams with much greater exposure.

Questions to ask the team: Comparison between F1 and football (soccer) and the team and other F1 teams + top football (soccer) teams. The impact of the team’s partnership deals on brand equity. Examples of successful tech integration case studies,

Tactical Considerations

It’s not good enough to include “recommendations”, and certainly not at the quoted price. From experience, it will take 6-12 months to work through and agree an approach.

If moving forward with this opportunity, I strongly suggest:

• You agree tactical plans in advance of signing a contract - “non-exhaustive” ideas isn’t enough.
  • You receive contractual commitments to key areas of integration and agreed, details projects.
  • Ensure that the proposal includes significant funding for development, with the responsibility to build likely to fall on apecoin.
  • You ensure that the team has the technical expertise to deliver against what you need.

Suggestion: There are several top teams in F1 with an existing web3 strategy and desire to leverage blockchain technology to engage with fans. Before committing to an expensive commercial partnership, it’s imperative to have discussions with all teams about the value that apecoin can offer them from a technological and cultural perspective. This is applicable across other sports as well. Some teams may be willing to integrate and activate without a $ spend on marketing.

Partnership Fee

This will require a better understanding of which team you’re speaking with, but a global partnership for a mid-level Formula 1 team is likely to cost $750k-$2m per annum. The package you’ve received is noncommittal, light in terms of rights, and over valued if it’s not one of the top teams.

Rights & Activation

Activating a partnership of this nature is complicated and labour intensive from a brand and admin perspective. In addition to requiring brand attention, you will need a full time member of staff to manage the partnership. Some thoughts on individual rights:

• Car placement: Unless prominent on a leading car, this is a diluted right that offers minimal value to brands in my opinion.
  • Hospitality & Experiences: All of these items can be purchased without the need for a partnership.
  • Drive Appearances: At the very least, the nature of the appearances (length of time, what they can do etc.) needs to be included. But don’t expect a significant amount of time for content creation, this reads like a meet and greet. An ambassador deal with a driver from a smaller team could be acquired outside of a team partnership for $200k and would grant much more access, albeit without the team IP.
  • Merchandise: At that price, you should receive more varied memorabilia.
  • Digital Integrations: This is lazy by the team and should be a lot more clear about what will be published and to which channels. At $2.5m per annum you should be asking for 6+ posts. Ask them for comparisons of engagement and reach vs. other teams.

Additional rights: You could look at community/foundation opportunities, blockchain education etc. The package as it stands is a very early iteration and needs to be developed further, first by the team. Challenge them to understand apecoin’s purpose and mission, and to develop a broader rights package and activation plan that matches your ambition.

Suggestions

If this this type of opportunity is something that apecoin wishes to explore, then you need to ensure that:

• You’re aware of the additional costs involved.
  • Have spoken to 20+ rights holders across different sports to understand value.
  • Negotiated much better terms and rights - challenge the team to build this out.
  • Received technical integration and digital activation commitments.

EDIT: The name of the team is far less important than the platform they offer. Even if the name is redacted, you could share data relating to the platform.

6 Likes

I’ve added some additional thoughts below, which are worth considering. If you want to discuss further, reach out to me on X.

My sincere gratitude for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive analysis and thoughtful suggestions regarding the proposed partnership with the Formula 1 team. We certainly have those considerations in mind for when it comes time to get granular on the grant agreement execution stage.

Thank you for your invaluable contributions to this discussion. Your expertise and insights are immensely appreciated! There should be a space or two scheduled coming up as well - it’d be great to have you on.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@Ape.Admin and the @Special_Council have completed editing the AIP Idea to be the AIP Draft.

• This proposal has been assigned the AIP ID Number 406.
  • Edits have been made to this Topic, by the author’s request.
  • You can click the Pencil icon at the top of the post to see these edits.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-@Facilitators

Now this addition is interesting. So it’s not Haas.

Now I’d say it’s most likely McLaren, who have an NFT project. I can’t see any of the other top 6 teams doing this outside of Alpine, who are the worst constructor thus far in 2024, and so full of drama not even the ApeCoin DAO should want to get involved. :joy:

Lando and Oscar are both top tier drivers even though McLaren’s performance this year isn’t looking so hot. But they made major improvements last year, so that’s certainly possible this year.

Red Bull also have an NFT collection, but I’d be astonished if they were chasing funding through a mechanism this obscure. Ferrari are far too… well. They’re Ferrari. Aston Martin has Stroll’s pockets to pick through. Mercedes just feels so unlikely. In any case, INTERESTING.

3 Likes

All I could do was smile while reading your speculation Matt :smiling_face: interesting indeed!

2 Likes

Exciiiiiiiitiiiiing :eyes::eyes:

F1 is basically a speedy racecar soap opera, so speculation is the only way to go about it! :joy: Still surprised this wasn’t Haas, it perfectly fits in with the style of how they run their business. But, no Guenther anymore, so perhaps that’s changed too.

1 Like