AIP-413: Elect a Chairman inside Special Council

PROPOSAL NAME: Elect a Chairman inside Special Council

PROPOSAL CATEGORY: Process

ABSTRACT:

We need a person to lead and be responsible for the direction of the DAO. This person would be responsible for overseeing the direction of the DAO during their term. This person would serve as the primary point of contact for gathering, distributing, and managing information & roles within the DAO.

BENEFIT TO APECOIN ECOSYSTEM:

• Direction for the ApeCoin DAO community

• Greater responsibility within the Special Council

• Increased communication from the Special Council

STEPS TO IMPLEMENT & TIMELINE:

To implement the new governance process, we would appoint a lead individual from within the Special Council to be responsible for overseeing the direction of the DAO during their term. This person would serve as the primary point of contact for gathering, distributing, and managing information and roles within the DAO.

The process for electing a chairman would mirror the current Special Council election rules, cadence and processes. Nominations for the chairman position would be accepted by the community directly from standing Special Council members. This new process would commence during the election cycle following the approval of this AIP, and would continue until the DAO decides to make further amendments.

Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for this step include:

Timely commencement of the election process within the designated cycle.
Nomination of suitable candidates by standing Special Council members.
Transparency and fairness in the election process.

Personnel Requirements:

An individual to serve as the lead responsible for overseeing the direction of the DAO.
ApeCoin Special Council members to nominate candidates for the chairman position.

Expectations from the Ape Foundation:

Support for the election process and any necessary amendments to the governance framework.
Ensuring transparency and fairness in the election process.

Other Resources Needed:

Clear communication channels for gathering and disseminating information.
Documentation for the community, outlining the updated election process.

Timing Details:

The election process would commence during the election cycle following the approval of this AIP.
Milestones include the initiation of nominations and the completion of the election process according to the expected timeline.

OVERALL COST:

No additional cost to the DAO.

4 Likes

I like the idea, there’s no accountability right now in the DAO. Tho I still like how there’s no central figure in its true essence of decentralization, the lack of updates on passed AIP from authors and lack of accountability regarding the milestones by various Working Group may give rise to some concerns in near future.

The current Special Council cannot be in a position nor someone above them coz we know how whale voting would prefer the popular ones or someone who has never even stepped inside the DAO or even know the basic stuffs about whats happening here.

P.S. I wish to see some feedback from the community members, more details into the scope of work required here. Good idea @buuvei

3 Likes

I have some thoughts here, but would really like to hear the community feedback first.

As it happens, I am working on (before this post went up) the reporting mechanisms for GWG.

4 Likes

I think most people don’t want to see another paid position that adds to the bureaucracy. I feel like we are at a point where we can only “restructure”. Love that @bigbull is already working on reporting. I know we have a section that’s supposed to be for accepted AIP authors that’s meant for updates, but is that even being used? I see so many posts but no replies from authors.

To be honest I can see why most people don’t want most AIPs to pass. It feels like we sink money into something and get absolutely nothing in return. ThankApe is always used as the counter example, but it would be kinda sad if that was the only successful AIP from the DAO. More accepted AIP authors need to continue to engage with the community to show progress. Maybe then people might be willing to fund cooler projects.

2 Likes

You should really leave a third option of no change. Or even better first have a poll asking:

Do you want an extra role to do xyz
Y
N

Then part 2, give the two options.

1. elect an independent person to lead Special Council and Working Groups
  2. elect a Chairman inside Special Council

Right now, you are only going to get people to vote who want one of your options.

9 Likes

Council and Working Groups electing a Chairman within Special Council I believe is a better option, they would be better prepared to successfully conclude this issue.

1 Like

@buuvei, thanks for bringing this up. I think a rotating chairman (“Great Ape?!”) makes sense personally; it’s important to balance direction and power and not have an individual be enshrined, in my opinion (I’m going to go out on a limb and guess legal counsel has an opinion on this too). Perhaps it is rolled into the role of SC members, and they each get a few months of the term as the chairman, sort of similar, IIRC, to the United Nations Security Council. I am also sensitive to the idea of a new position, as @leyota notes.

@bigbull let me know if there’s anything I can personally do to help from the Horizen side on reporting/transparency (not to put our finger on the scale but in terms of advice/intros to folks who can help), I know a number of external folks who are really thoughtful and involved in the area who would be worth talking to. I’m happy to set up those intros as you’re thinking through it.

Also, one thing to note is that many of the real or perceived governance issues are ultimately scaling and process issues. I don’t think people should feel discouraged; 95% of DAOs would kill to have to figure out effective governance at scale. I know @Lost and those guys are thinking through a lot of the AIP facilitation procedures/processes/tools as well, so I would be interested in them weighing in if they can.

2 Likes

Hi @buuvei,

The community feedback period for your proposal would be ending in less than 24 hours.

• If you’re content with the feedback received, your next steps are to finalize your proposal using the AIP Draft Template.

• A moderator will reach out to the author to finalize the AIP Draft. Upon receipt of the final Draft, we will review and provide instructions on the next steps.

• Are you ready to proceed to the next phase or do you wish to extend community discussion for another 7 days?

We look forward to hearing from you.

-@Facilitators

1 Like

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@buuvei has requested to extend the community discussion period for this AIP idea. This topic will automatically close a further 8 days from now. We encourage the community to continue to engage in thoughtful discussions through constructive criticism, honest feedback, and helpful suggestions.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

-@Facilitators

1 Like

My voice for a “member of the Council”, but I do support the position @bigbull mentioned several posts above concerning the third option “leave all unchanged”. In this case I’d vote respectively.

2 Likes

Hi @buuvei,

The community feedback period for your proposal would be ending in less than 24 hours.

• If you’re content with the feedback received, your next steps are to finalize your proposal using the AIP Draft Template.

• A moderator will reach out to the author to finalize the AIP Draft. Upon receipt of the final Draft, we will review and provide instructions on the next steps.

• Are you ready to proceed to the next phase or do you wish to extend community discussion for another 7 days?

We look forward to hearing from you.

-@Facilitators

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 13 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

@buuvei has completed editing their AIP Idea to be their AIP Draft.

This proposal has been assigned the AIP ID Number 413.

Kind Regards,

-@Facilitators

1 Like

Unclear what “lead and be responsible for the direction of the DAO” means. What scope does this extend to. What does this proposal define “direction” as.

I’d also like to establish a baseline with regard to your understanding of how the current DAO structure operates, so I need to ask, is this an ideology and/or set of tasks that you see going on with Special Council right now, that through this proposal be allocated to one single Council member, or are you suggesting an entirely new scope.

This part is actually quite dangerous.

DAOs need to maintain a very sensitive, nuanced structure based on legalities on a jurisdiction to jurisdiction basis, so IMO, centralizing positions who are directly tied to the APE Foundation to formally manage other roles “within the DAO” creates immense risk and should be a hard stop for any proposal suggesting them.

ApeCoinDAO is governed by over 140,000 unique wallets. Whether all of them engage with our voting process or not, because at any given time they could — not one person.

It is also worth noting that Working Groups are grant recipients who do not represent the APE Foundation and in-turn are unable to be managed them. So by putting something in writing suggesting that they should, without fully understanding why they aren’t, is reckless.

If this proposal were to go through, how would it protect other Special Council members, the APE Foundation and our community if a bad actor were to be elected into this role.

Let’s also not forget that there are five total Special Council seats, so even if the 'Chair were to throw the others a bone and have them vote on something they may never even come up with a conclusion because of an even number of votes.

In the end, you’ve got 350 total words proposing to centralize the entire “direction” of a half billion dollar treasury… I suggest tapping the brakes on this for a bit.

2 Likes

But yo, buuvei. Maybe my tone is a little dryer on this than usual. And you and me go back a while now so you know I respect you. But it’s aggressive process changes like these without any actual supporting documentation to account for literally hunreds of potential variables that makes me more and more inclined to put something up suggesting that there should be new steps in place to assure that concepts are well-padded before going up for vote, and in-turn potentially passing.

We need to start normalizing the use of attorney’s and other legal experts when process changes are being posed, and more specifically implemented, to make sure everything is accounted for.

Anyways, touchy subject so don’t throw any bricks at my head when you see me next. We’re still fam.

AC

3 Likes

We have no further questions for @buuvei. This AIP is now under Administrative Review.

Kind Regards,

-@Facilitators

1 Like