@NFTC - Nomination 1/2022

I believe that it’s important to share my position on Cartan’s recent Admin Extension and the associated Open Letter. If you haven’t read it yet I highly recommend that you do, because it’ll quickly become the most contentious discussion after Special Council Elections and will likely go to Snapshot vote on December 29th.

In a proposal submitted 7 days ago, Cartan requested to be compensated for increase of scope. If the proposal goes to vote in the current state, it would increase Cartan’s monthly compensation from $150,000 per month to $330,000 per month.

I spoke out on the proposal here, here, and here. My key thoughts are summarized below:

Cartan Group plays a very important role in this DAO. They were appointed by the Special Council around the time the DAO was formed and it’s not an exaggeration to say that they manage all of the behind the scenes work. They do it all. Unfortunately, the demand for more and lack of oversight by existing SC has led to scope creep.

I want to be clear that:

I genuinely believe that Cartan is acting in the best interest of the DAO while also balancing the need to run a profitable company.

That said, I’m not in support of Cartan expanding their scope to do even MORE. We risk our decentralization by granting more and more responsibilities to a single entity. When the scope of work did expand beyond AIP-1, the existing Special Council should have alerted us and steered the community to propose AIPs to fill the gaps. That did not happen and now we’re in a tight spot with Cartan’s funding expiring at the end of December and Special Council elections overshadowing it all.

We risk becoming fully paralyzed on January 1 if Cartan’s extension does not pass and I believe that as it is written today, it will not. That will put a massive burden on the community and new Special Council members. This is a real, embarrassing risk.

If elected to Special Council, I’ll bust my b*tt to ensure that we as a DAO:

1. Continue to operate during a gap, should it occur
  2. Retain Cartan in either their original scope or one very similar to it
  3. Advocate for the creation of working groups and committees that will further decentralize ApeCoin DAO

Thank you for your time and consideration! I invite all questions here and don’t forget to vote on December 15th!

Cheers,
NFTC

3 Likes