The following post is the Nomination Announcement for the ApeCoin Governance Working Group Steward positions for the term beginning in July 2023. This announcement marks the start of the Governance Working Group Steward nomination process. Per AIP-239, this post will cover everything you need to know about:
- General elections housekeeping (e.g. where things will live on Discourse)
- Details on the nomination and election process
- Timeline for the nomination and election process
- The application process and how to apply to become a Governance Working Group Steward
A new category has been added to Discourse called Working Group Steward Elections. This is where election resources will live. Within this category, there are four sub-categories:
- This contains high-level nomination and election announcements for the election cycle.
- During phase 2 (timeline below) this sub-category is where the community will be able to engage with, ask questions of, and seek clarification from nominees on their nomination profile pages. Nominees are applicants that have submitted an application and completed the KYC and background verification process.
Applicants’ profiles move from “Working Group Steward Nominees” to “Working Group Steward Election Candidates” if:
- There are 5 or fewer nominees in total or;
- There are greater than 5 nominees and the applicant is one of the top 5 nominees as decided by a community vote on Snapshot
- Any application that is withdrawn by the applicant, rejected by a community vote (at either the nomination or election stage) or withdrawn for any other reason will be moved here.
The Nomination and Elections Process
The nomination process for Stewards of the Governance Working Group was established by AIP-239, which mimics the same process as the Special Council outlined in AIP-137. The following outlines a process for community members to participate in elections. The nomination process is as follows:
- Phase 1: Starting Sunday, May 7th, applicants are invited to put themselves forward for Steward of the Governance Working Group. The Nomination Announcement (this post) facilitates the submission of applications via a Google Form. Applicants should submit their KYC information, relevant documents, and nomination profile drafts.
- Phase 2: The community discusses the nomination profile of those who pass the KYC and background verification process.
- Phase 3: If there are more than 5 nominees, there will be a 6-day vote on Snapshot (consistent with the usual Thursday to Wednesday cadence for AIP votes). The top 5 nominees from the community vote (or all nominees if there are 5 or fewer) advance to the election process.
The election process for Stewards of the Governance Working Group was established by AIP-239, which mimics the same process as the Special Council outlined in AIP-138. The process helps to ensure that governance runs uninterrupted and allows talented, passionate, and capable members of the community to serve in the daily operations of the DAO. The election will run on Snapshot, consistent with the usual Thursday to Wednesday life cycle for AIP votes. This second cycle will elect 2 candidates as Stewards to the Governance Working Group.
Nomination and Elections Timeline - 2023
- May 7-20: Applications are open, and KYC begins as needed. (Phase 1)
- May 21-27: Continuing KYC and verification process for all received applications (Phase 1)
- May 28-June 11: Nomination profiles are posted on Discourse and open for community discussion and interaction (Phase 2)
- June 15-21: Community vote for nominees via Snapshot to select election candidates. (Phase 2)
- June 22-28: Election period via Snapshot to select from the candidates the next 2 Governance Working Group Stewards. (Phase 3)
- July 1st: New Governance Working Group Stewards start term.
The Application Process - How to Apply
We are currently in Phase 1 – Applications and applicant verification (applications will be in the Google Form linked below).
If you would like to be a Governance Working Group Steward for the ApeCoin DAO (term beginning in July 2023) you must submit your application to the Google Form that will be shared on the morning of Sunday May 7th, 2023. Applications will close on Saturday May 20th, 2023 at 9PM Eastern Time.
At the Google Form linked above, you will be asked to submit the following information (All information denoted as private will be treated as confidential):
- Applicant Information: The Ape Foundation is a legal entity that must collect information and documents for KYC purposes. The information provided shall remain confidential, or made public on the nomination profile at the discretion of the Applicant.
|Information Provided||Required?||Share Publicly?|
|Discourse @username (must have Discourse profile on forum.apecoin.com & at least 1 ApeCoin in a connected wallet)||Yes||Yes|
|Email Address (the same one used in your Discourse account)||Yes||Optional|
|Educational Background (subject to verification)||No||Optional|
|Professional Background (subject to verification)||No||Optional|
Documents: In order to verify the above information, the Ape Foundation must also collect supporting or verification documents. All documents will remain secure and private with the Ape Foundation.
- Valid passport, Government Issued ID, or Driver’s License
- Proof of address: A utility bill or bank statement in the name of the Applicant within the last 3 months.
Nomination profile: The Applicant completes the nomination profile to build their case to the community on why they are the best suited for the Governance Working Group. This nomination profile will be published on Discourse and will include the following sections:
- Nomination statement: Concise statement on why you are running for Steward of the Governance Working Group
- Motivation: Details on your motivation for becoming a Governance Working Group Steward
- Rationale: Share relevant experience and skills that will bring value to the ApeCoin DAO
- Specifications: Further describe relevant experience, including crypto and governance participation
- Concluding statement: Summarize your statement as to why you are the best choice for Governance Working Group Steward
Once an Applicant submits their information and nomination profile, a KYC and background verification process will take place to verify the information submitted. The Ape Foundation may engage an independent, third-party service provider to complete this process. This process may take up to 14 days. Presiding Governance Working Group Stewards whose seats are up for election must also go through the nomination and election process to be considered. Applicants may, at any time, request to withdraw their application by emailing email@example.com.