AIP-170: Let’s build a Public Relations team to promote building in the APE ecosystem

Hi Sasha, thank you for adding your questions to the conversation!

On the other, your metric of success is # of published articles, not # of extra AIPs passing approval (i.e. new projects). How, in your view, do articles translate into projects/stuff actually being built?

Our PR approach focuses on attracting builders to the Ape ecosystem by generating media coverage that highlights the platform’s attractiveness for contributors. Although the number of published articles may not directly correlate to new projects, it raises awareness and generates interest among potential builders. I encourage the community to suggest alternative metrics that we can use to gauge the effectiveness of our PR efforts.

1. Where would these be published/distributed?

My PR strategy aims to pitch stories to a diverse range of media outlets, encompassing crypto, tech, and mainstream publications. For crypto-focused media, I will target well-known outlets such as CoinDesk, CoinTelegraph, Decrypt, and The Block, which have a dedicated readership interested in the latest developments within the cryptocurrency and blockchain space. We will approach influential publications like TechCrunch, Wired, The Verge, and others. To capture a broader audience, we will also pitch to mainstream media outlets such as Forbes, Bloomberg, and The Wall Street Journal. Our efforts are not limited to these outlets, and I will continuously explore opportunities to reach a wider audience.

We have plenty of coverage currently of what’s happening in the ecosystem. There’s ApeComms, there’s The Bored Gazette (financed from the DAO), there’s the DAM Show (also now financed), there are individuals like Halina and Sera and others posting on personal twitter accounts about new AIPs. How does your proposal differentiate itself and, most importantly, what critical component is missing that this you believe this proposal would cover?

While there are excellent existing resources and teams such as ApeComms, The Bored Ape Gazette, and individual contributors sharing updates within the BAYC ecosystem, our proposal focuses on pitching general media, which differs significantly from these community-driven outlets. Our approach aims to target a broader audience by pitching journalists in the crypto, tech, and mainstream media sectors to raise awareness and generate interest among potential builders and investors outside the existing BAYC and ApeCoin communities.

The critical component our proposal addresses is the targeted outreach to influential publications, leveraging their expansive readership to maximize the visibility of the Ape ecosystem.

What are the specifications for each publication? Length, detail level, perhaps a link to a sample/similar coverage? Is this for new projects only? For example, in month 2 you could write 4 publications about same projects as in month 1, plus two new ones - will that count towards the total of 6? Clarity is needed exactly when something can be counted as “publication” vs when it cannot be.

It’s important to note that our proposal does not request funds for copywriting. Instead, we aim to secure coverage through organic pitching of media, which involves crafting tailored pitches to pique the interest of journalists and editors in influential publications. Organic pitching can be time-consuming and require significant effort, as it necessitates researching the target audience, identifying the right media outlets, and creating personalized pitches that resonate with each publication’s unique editorial focus and style.

The DAO is unable currently to distribute every month based on KPIs afaik, it’s just a lump sum, so it may be better to ask for w/e you need now, then come back mid-way with results thus far and ask for the next batch of coin.

Thank you for pointing this out! Can you share more details on why the DAO is unable currently to distribute every month based on KPIs? Spent a few hours and did not find such information.

Overall, for me, I think PR as in going to hackathons, sponsoring those, encouraging meetings of devs, cold emailing communities & people, forging partnerships with other DAOs/chains, etc. is what we need. Less so articles, which we already have. Or how are you thinking about this?

I agree that PR efforts encompass a wide range of activities, including attending hackathons, sponsoring events, forging partnerships, and reaching out to communities and individuals. While all these tasks are crucial for the growth of the Ape ecosystem, it is challenging for a single team to manage them all effectively. Our proposal primarily focuses on pitching to journalists and generating media coverage to attract builders.

However, we recognize the importance of the activities you mentioned and believe in the power of collaboration. I will be more than happy to work alongside other working groups who are focused on these areas.

My organic pitching approach complements the other PR activities you mentioned, ensuring that we cover multiple channels to raise awareness and generate interest in the Ape ecosystem. By working together with other working groups, we can create a cohesive and effective PR strategy that benefits the entire community.

Thank you again. And glory to the heroes!