AIP-209: Ape Accelerator powered by ApeCoin

GREAT IDEA.
With the right leadership that aims to move quickly to help builders this is something the DAO needs!

2 Likes

Seems the potential for self-dealing with this is very high.

I don’t presume anyone will do that, but the gate is wide open.

I realize there’s a vote, but it requires a small subset of a small subset to vote, and to do so responsibly they’d have to have working knowledge of things far beyond most people’s competencies, and the vast majority of votes will be from those essentially on the inside or who stand to gain from it.

No system’s perfect, but maybe some fail-safes of what constitutes a passing vote, or collab/oversight by the DAO?

I don’t have a solution, and I don’t have cause for suspicion. It’s just an observation.

2 Likes

Hi br00no,

Thank you for expressing your concern regarding the fairness of voting.

First, the final decision of whether a project will launch on Ape Accelerator is determined by community voting. The reason we set up this voting mechanism is that we believe the Ape community gathers a group of early NFT adopters with experience and knowledge on the NFT and Web3 space, and they
are competent to define quality projects from diverse perspectives.

To avoid a single party or insider to manipulate the voting, or so called Tyranny of the Wealthy Minority, we also considering to implement Quadratic Voting:

• Each user can spread voting power across any number of choices. The results are calculated quadratically, thanks to which the number of individual voters matters more than the sum of voting power contributed.
  • As Snapshot stated, quadratic will dilute the whales’ voting power in favor of smaller holders. Quality of vote and Individuals will matter more than the amount of tokens.

Thanks again for bringing up the concern. We welcome ideas from the community to make the Ape Accelerator process more transparent and decentralized!

Best,
Forj Team

Tyranny of the Wealthy Minority: When the wealthy minority is able to buy votes to enable them to skew the results of a position, the equity embedded in the democratic process disintegrates.

Reference: What makes Quadratic Voting an effective Democratic Voting Mechanism | by Eximchain | Eximchain | Medium
Voting systems - snapshot

2 Likes

I really like the “tech accelerator” model applied to Web3 & have been recently speaking about their importance. Accelerators & incubators are often instrumental to the growth of new entrepreneurial ecosystems. I experienced this firsthand as LA was emerging as a hub of technology, now often referred to as “Silicon Beach,” with Amplify LA, Science Inc. and others as early contributors.

My question is related to the often core value of accelerators: the advisory/mentor network that the startups get to access. The success of Y Combinator, TechStars, Amplify, etc. are dependent on their respective advisors that are assigned to the startups going through each cohort.

Does the Ape Accelerator intend to build such a network of advisory mentors?

6 Likes

Agree with @JustFred, I’ve done an accelerator in the film industry and it was a turning point in my entertainment career. Within web3 traditional gatekeepers are largely gone. However, it is a complicated space, and with decentralization navigating the landscape can be a daunting process. 3rd party credentialization from trusted sources is the best way to fast track high potential individuals and teams.

Just like having y-comb on your resume, being chose for the Forj accelerator will be seen as a stamp of approval.

4 Likes

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

We have no further questions for @Forj. This AIP is now under Administrative Review.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-Vulkan

2 Likes

After review, this Topic submitted by @Forj has been “Returned for Clarification”. The ApeCoin Special Council waits for answers and the community will be notified when the author responds.

Kind Regards,

Vulkan

2 Likes

Hi ApeCoin Community,

@Forj has updated their proposal. You can check these changes by clicking the pencil icon found on the top right of the proposal.

Thanks,

Vulkan

2 Likes

We have one additional question/request for clarification for @Forj.

Kind Regards,

-Vulkan

2 Likes

@Vulkan.Admin Thank you very much, Vulkan! We appreciate your help!

Best,
Forj Team

1 Like

Hi ApeCoin Community,

@Forj has updated their proposal. You can check these changes by clicking the pencil icon found on the top right of the proposal.

Thanks,

Vulkan

2 Likes

We have one additional question/request for clarification for @Forj.

Kind Regards,

-Vulkan

2 Likes

Hi ApeCoin Community,

Thanks,

Vulkan

3 Likes

After review, this Topic submitted by @Forj is ready for vote under AIP-209. The proposal will be posted on Snapshot at the next weekly release date and time, which is every Thursday at 9PM EST.

Kind Regards,

Vulkan

4 Likes

This proposal is live for vote on Snapshot. The voting period closes next Wednesday at 9PM EST.

The AIP implementation is administered by the Ape Foundation. Implementation may be immaterially or materially altered to optimize for security, usability, to protect APE holders, and otherwise to effect the intent of the AIP. Any material deviations from an AIP, as initially approved, will be disclosed to the APE holder community.

5 Likes

The voting period has closed for this proposal and it has been accepted with a 59.09% pass rate. The proposal will be passed on for implementation.

Follow this proposal under the AIP Transparency and Execution Category. A new post has been created here, Implementation Update | AIP-209: Ape Accelerator powered by ApeCoin, and further updates will be posted.

Thanks,

@Lost.Admin

5 Likes