AIP-293: APE awards for round 2 runner ups in the elections

Proposal Name: Reward finalists in the elections to make the process more equitable.

Proposal Category: Process

Abstract
AIP Idea: The idea is simple. Getting to round two of the elections takes a lot of work from the candidates. Less well off candidates may not put their name forward as they can’t take the time off from their current work or not have earnings for this period. A one time award to the three runner up finalists in each category can make this more equitable.
N.B. the AIP is to run for a total of two election cycles.

Team Description

• The ApeCoin Dao to distribute the funds.
  • Governance Working Group needs to follow up on the KPI assessment.

Motivation
Reward the runner up finalists who who have been promoting the ApeCoin Dao as they aimed to get elected.

Rationale
Making the process more equitable is a reward for the runner ups in the election. It could also be given next year in future elections. This will ensure future elections have a broad range of applicants from the community. The AIP is to run for a total of two election cycles.

Risk Review
Also it doesn’t make sense to game the system to obtain this level of reward.

Special Council runner up needed 2.2m APE so over 4m USD fiat.
Steward runner up need 739k APE, so approx. 1.5m USD fiat.
A loan of 2m USD and the price drops 1% you lose 20k USD. If it drops 0.2% it lose as much as the runner up reward.

This is a terrible risk/reward trade. This doesn’t even account for interest that would have to be paid on it. Also as the voting base expands the numbers needed will go up, so I don’t think this is a problem giving the size of the reward.

Benefit to ApeCoin Ecosystem
It benefits the ApeCoin Ecosystem by encouraging participation in the election process with a range of candidates, as the process is very time consuming. The award level is set that it is enough to be thankful to receive but not so much that it is worth applying for roles just for the reward. It only applies to those who are runners ups in round two as those runner up finalists had to put in significant investment of time and effort as the main competitors. Overall this AIP will make the process more equitable and encourage broader participation.

It is retroactive for those that participated in the July 1st 2023 election. It will also apply to the next election cycle. Therefore in total two cycles. Please note the idea was added before the end of the last election cycle. Also after the two cycles it will require a new AIP to continue this Election Reward Program.

Measurements of Success

OKRs - Goal orientated:

• Increase engagement during the election season with the wider web3 community.
  • Leverage “social proof” of candidates to increase credibility and improve reputation of the ApeCoin Dao.
  • Increase the number of high quality candidates.
  • Increase Equity in the ApeCoin Dao.

KPIS - Numerical targets:

• Applicants increase by 15%.
  • Increase twitter posts related to the elections by 15%.
  • Increase voting on the election snapshots by 5%.

Specifications | A detailed breakdown of the platforms and technologies that will be used.

This is a simple AIP so the Funds can be distributed based on the normal AIP process of fund disbursements.
Also for the voting will be using snapshot.org* ApeCoin apecoin.eth.

Steps to Implement
Manpower: Internal Dao finance administration only.
Operational: Administration needs to facilitate the payment from the DAO. Funds can be sent directly from the ApeCoin Dao to the relevant round two runner up candidates. The funds do not need to be sent to my account first.
Grant Effectiveness Assessment: Requires GWG to track the progress of KPIs.

Timeline
Within 2 weeks after the snapshot closes if the AIP passes.

Overall Cost | The total cost to implement the proposal.

Special Council Runner Ups
*2,000 x 3 = 6,000 ApeCoin

Stewards Runner Ups
*2,000 x 3 = 6,000 ApeCoin

One Election Cycle cost = 12,000 ApeCoin
Total Cost = 24,000 ApeCoin

7 Likes

I think this is a great proposal.

3 Likes

Strong concept with a justifiable — and reasonable reward.

These elections are not easy, and can put many candidates behind on IRL duties for no guaranteed outcome at the end.

Could also be something that our friends at ThankAPE may want to team up with on as well.

Nice thinking on this, BigBull :+1:

AC

8 Likes

This close :ok_hand:

Sounds good tho

2 Likes

Thank you, BigBull, for thinking of us. That’s very kind of you.

I’ll speak for myself, though I’m sure experience is shared: it’s true that I’ve put in insane hours, slept in 3-4 hour chunks for weeks due to Spaces often occurring 2am-4am or 5-7am my time (Thailand). I have also had zero time to do anything else in my life for over a month.

I was sending hundreds of DMs per day sometimes, and that’s on top of replies, tweets & threads, Twitter Spaces, Discord activity, private calls… It’s a hell of a grind.

So, if I lose, would I be immensely grateful to the community if awarded a little $ape? Of course.

At the same time, I expect nothing. I entered elections without expectation of any reward other than some experience/lessons and making new connections. So there will be no hard feelings whatsoever if this doesn’t pass.

Happy to serve :saluting_face:

13 Likes

Just 2nd round runners up… asking for a friend

5 Likes

Good to have a healthy debate.

Looking at elections in general, often only rich people run. The idea of some reward is so people who are less rich also run. Some of us can run and not worry about funds, but for others it is a big opportunity cost.

The idea to add this equitable component is so more people run and we don’t just end up with only rich people as candidates in the elections.

Something to think about.

3 Likes

I think this is a fantastic idea to reward the runner up finalists in the elections. It’s important to acknowledge the hard work and dedication these candidates put into promoting the DAO and participating in the election process.

2 Likes

Hi @bigbull,

I appreciate the effort put into this proposal, and I want to express my respect for all the nominees and their dedication to the ApeCoin DAO. However, I respectfully disagree with the idea of rewarding the runner-up finalists in the elections.

While the intention behind the proposal to promote equity is commendable, I believe it could potentially have unintended consequences. Providing monetary rewards to runner-ups may shift the motivation for participation towards personal gain rather than genuine community contribution. We should prioritize candidates who are genuinely passionate about advancing the community’s goals, rather than those who might be solely interested in receiving the reward.

Additionally, introducing such rewards could open the door for individuals to exploit the system. It may encourage people to seek loans or take advantage of others to secure their position as a runner-up, which could undermine the integrity of the elections and create an environment focused on personal gain rather than community-driven initiatives.

IF we were to agree to grant rewards to runner-ups in elections, we should consider the implications for future AIPs and new positions within the DAO. The proposal should have a general framework that can accommodate upcoming elections and ensure consistency in the distribution of rewards.

Once again, I want to emphasize my respect for all the nominees and their dedication to the ApeCoin DAO and Good Luck!

Stay Hyped!
-Mr. Hype :fire:

7 Likes

I’m on board with this proposal to reward the runner-up finalists in the ApeCoin DAO elections! It’s awesome that you’re recognizing the hard work and dedication of these candidates who have put in their time and effort to promote the DAO. By giving them a one-time award, we can make the process more equitable and encourage broader participation. It’s great to show gratitude for their contributions!

Also, we should ensure that @ThreadGuy has a role created!

2 Likes

This is a lot of work and a lot of work done. Honestly, guys. I myself do not have time to follow everything that is happening here, although I just follow what is happening from the outside to be aware of where the DAO is moving, what opinions the participants have and new ideas. What guys like @sasha are doing is priceless. It’s one thing to write a meaningless comment like “cool suggestion” or “sucks”, and another to give feedback, share experiences, give constructive criticism and provide direct participation in AIP support. I think this is a great offer, such initiatives should be rewarded

5 Likes

Special Council runner up needed 2.2m APE so over 4m USD fiat.

Steward runner up need 739k APE, so approx. 1.5m USD fiat.

A loan of 2m USD and the price drops 1% you lose 20k USD. If it drops 0.2% it lose as much as the runner up reward. This is a terrible risk/reward trade. This doesn’t even account for interest that would have to be paid on it.

As the voting base expands the numbers needed will go up, so I don’t think this is a problem giving the size of the reward.

4 Likes

Hi @bigbull,

I meant for example if will be future AIP that propose elections to OTHER roles, not for stewards or SC, this AIP is not cover it.

• Mr. Hype🔥
1 Like

This is only a 1 time AIP. Future rewards would be a new AIP.

Great initiative. They put a lot of work and energy into this election campaign. Some of them are/will be important discourse members, always here to help.

2 Likes

This is pretty interesting and considerate towards the participants. Justifiable to reward those who make their effort and spend their time campaigning and promoting the DAO

3 Likes

Hi BB,

This is a great idea.

Just a small thank you and a token of appreciation for the hard work, valiant efforts, and dignified debates we all saw.

NB - I also like the way you didn’t ask to reward all entrants, narrowing it down to the final five, as this would have possibly encouraged larger amounts of applications next time just to secure some $ape - but this approach is just perfect imo.

Hope to see this closed after 7 days, fast tracked to vote, voted on and paid out asap after approved.

Thanks BB

3 Likes

Great offer. This will simultaneously stimulate the struggle and will compensate for the significant investment of time and effort of the main competitor

3 Likes

Hi @bigbull,

Your topic will be moving to the AIP Draft phase in less than 24 hours. Are you content with the feedback received or do you wish to extend community discussion for another 7 days?

If we do not hear from you within 48 hours after your topic closes, your topic will be moved straight to the AIP Draft process.

We look forward to hearing from you.

@Lost.Admin

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.