AIP-337: Re-evaluating ApeCoin DAO Special Council Salaries Structure

They are currently running about 31 days avg to bring up AIPs to vote.

There are currently 14 AIPs in admin review, with no indication as to when they will actually go up for vote.

So, with barely 4 voting cycles left in Oct, and with AIP-138 indicating that Nov-Dec is the cycle one time-line for voting, I am not sure that AIP-337 will be up for vote before the Nov election cycle.

Also @Moonlyght, I think we need an AIP that provides certainty as to the timeline for an AIP to go from drafts to admin review to vote. I will probably write up that one because right now there’s no transparency or timeline for when AIPs go through the process - and so, we just keep guessing as to when they actually leave admin review and go up for vote.

5 Likes

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

We have no further questions for @Moonlyght. This AIP is now under Administrative Review.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-@Facilitators

1 Like

This proposal is live for Snapshot vote at Snapshot. The voting period closes next Wednesday at 9PM EST.

The AIP implementation is administered by the Ape Foundation. Implementation may be immaterially or materially altered to optimize for security, usability, to protect APE holders, and otherwise to effect the intent of the AIP. Any material deviations from an AIP, as initially approved, will be disclosed to the APE holder community.

I don’t know what the council does besides put up AIPs to vote. And the AIPs lately are mostly terrible. Can they show the $200k+ per month in value they bring?

2 Likes

The best thing is democracy, let’s participate and use the power to vote for each decision made by each member here, each one has a way of seeing the situation, with the vote we exercise our thinking.

Strongly disagree. There are dozens, if not hundreds of DAOs in the ether. One of the only ways to evaluate a DAO is how well it governs itself.

If the governance process or qualifications of elected officials are not up to par, how can you even begin to take the DAO seriously? As an investor or project looking to participate, I would just join a better managed DAO.

This directly effects the native currency of the DAO. If the DAO is just a joke plutocracy, then the value of a vote is $0 and so is the token.

2 Likes

Can we seek guidance and advice from the DAO legal team on retainer around this AIP?

It seems this may open the DAO up to possible future litigation if the current council conditions are impacted as a result of this AIP proposal.

The current members are not impacted by this proposal.

2 Likes

It can be kind of hard to find that information. They don’t have any control over the quality of AIPs that go to vote. You can find what the Special Council does here:

And they just started their weekly reports. You can find the first two here:

The Special Council also put up an AIP that is still in the process that would offer the community different options to choose from to reduce their pay:

Hope this info helps!

2 Likes

There was an earlier version of this AIP (AIP-277) that called for an immediate reduction in all present SC salaries, which was Returned for Reconstruction for reasons not unlike the ones you made mention of.

This one would apply to anyone appointed for the term beginning January 1, 2024… this upcoming election.

1 Like

This is an important proposal. I would like to point out that currently SC members are paid 44% more than a US Senator.

3 Likes

To be fair, I’m pretty sure “insider trading” is also part of a Senator’s compensation package.

1 Like

True, but I’m not sure how to work that into yours unfortunately.

2 Likes

It’s a lot of money hahahha

1 Like

US Senators also get things like Health Coverage, 401K (called TSP), Social Security, a pension (called FERS), and other benefits that is outside of basic pay.

1 Like

All accurate points but not entirely relevant for this thread. I was just reinforcing the point that others have made about SC scope/responsibilities being far less than what would be expected in other representative type roles.

I think its sort of relevant. I’ve seen this argument made several times, which is an interesting comparison, but to make it fair I think you also have to look at the rest of things that this salary has to pay for:

Health Insurance
Taxes
Retirement (401K)
Legal (this a bit more subjective/speculative but is also worth listing)
etc.

This position appears to be full-time, so I would suspect that it should also compensate for these expenses.

The position is not currently defined as full-time, but several members of the SC say they work much greater than typical full-time hours. I do think future SC roles should be clearly defined as full-time, amongst other requirements. An actual list of requirements, including some hard requirements, is a change I’d love to see in many DAO funded roles.

2 Likes

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

The voting has closed for this proposal and it has not been approved.

This Topic will be moved to and remain in the Rejected AIPs subcategory.

-@Facilitators