AIP Idea: Restructuring the forum categories

Currently this forum is structured in a way that is entirely centric to the AIP process and isn’t conducive to other discussions. I believe this keeps the forum itself from becoming a vibrant place for discussion about AIP-related topics, workstreams that might be inspired by the work of the DAO, as well as for general community growth and camaraderie.

Note: as a bit of background, I’ve been and am currently the admin of other Discourse forums, so I have a deep familiarity with the ins-and-outs of the software.

The current structure of the Discourse is as follows:

General
Live AIP
Core: Ecosystem Fund Allocation
└── Core: Ecosystem Fund Allocation (Resubmission)
Core: Brand Decision
└── Core: Brand Decision (Resubmission)
Process
└── Process (Resubmission)
Informational
└── (Resubmission)

This structure is too flat, as well as doesn’t account for the possibility of many other channels that might benefit the DAO and its community. Additionally, it doesn’t account for Discourse subcategories as being an excellent way to broadly stay on top of activity within a certain idea space.

Therefore I propose the following restructure, as well as introduction of a couple new categories:

Note: I’m using subcategories to better organize

Start Here
└── Announcements
General
└── Events
AIP Ideas
AIP Drafts
└── Core: Ecosystem Fund Allocation
└── Core: Brand Decision
└── Process
└── Informational
Live AIPs
Help & Resources
└── FAQs
└── Get Help
└── Stay Safe

Restructuring what’s already here

First, I’m proposing that we rearrange from an entirely flat category layout to something that better utilizes the features of Discourse, and moves things into logical subcategories.

• AIP Ideas becomes its own category, which would have the 7 day topic auto-close timer built in
  • AIP Drafts moves all of the AIP types under one home
    • This is a huge help as it means that someone can navigate to the Drafts category and all topics within subcategories (AIP types) would aggregate together in one home, potentially improving engagement across the board

Changing the default landing page

By default Discourse is set to view the “Topics” view. Unfortunately this makes discovery of the various categories difficult. It also tends to focus the discussion only around the most recent posts at any given time, which is not conducive for a forum with a wide range of topics.

Therefore I propose that we switch to the “Categories and Latest Topics” setting by default. It would look like this:

And it’s set in the Discourse settings like this:

Adding helpful categories

The ApeCoin forum can become a living, de facto home for all things ApeCoin, that doesn’t require the apecoin.com website to change.

But getting there would require adding a couple new categories

Start Here

This would set up a handful of important topics that would help initiate a new forum participant into the DAO. This could be locked for replies to keep the content tight.

Posting would be restricted to forum mods only

Announcements

This would be a category for broad announcements to be made. The reason this is separated is because we could then take advantage of Discourse notification settings and auto-alert all forum participants on new announcements added.

Posting would be restricted to forum mods only

General

Events

This would be a spot to stay informed on all the different events (like live events, meetups, Twitter spaces) related to ApeCoin.

Help & Resources

This would be a broad category, mostly relying on its subcategories. Posting would be locked entirely at the top-level category and only allowed in subcategories.

FAQs

I mean, I guess this one is obvious

Get Help

This would be a place for apes to help other apes. I’d imagine that some apes might even set their notification preferences to “Tracking” or “Watch First Post” so that they might get alerted any time a new post goes live so they can jump right in and help.

Stay Safe

This would be the home for all things scams and general advice on security, etc. Many long-lived topics could be here, and it would be a logical place for people to become informed about the scary stuff that’s out there that might lead to losing our Apes!

Summary

Biggest thing here is that above all else I believe we should move the current AIP Draft topics into a logical grouping under one category called AIP Drafts.

As always, feedback is welcome and encouraged!

13 Likes

This sounds very well organized. I would vote for this. Thanks for your effort!

4 Likes

Love it. Very well organized & makes a ton more sense. Let’s do it. Thanks boss!

4 Likes

strongly agree.I would vote for this.

4 Likes

I fully support this restructuring, well thought out and would allow for more intensive discussion, while making the whole process less confusing.

4 Likes

@Mifune @RDM41 @Sui @Papasito I appreciate the support!

For anyone else showing up, it’d be great to know if there are any other categories that you might suggest, as we can discuss them here and I can include them in the AIP idea.

1 Like

FYI I’ve updated the proposal to include a change to the default home view that would better surface the different categories of the forum, and help encourage discovery and conversation in them.

3 Likes

Much more organized this way!

1 Like

This may be a bit picky but would it make sense to move LIVE AIP below announcements? These are AIPs already in snapshot and where we would want to bring a members attention immediately if they are not aware of it.

Also, I don’t see a sub category for resubmissions. May something under AIP Drafts would work?

Otherwise this looks awesome!

1 Like

That’s a great idea, and I’ll make that update.

It also calls attention to the fact that “Final AIPs” is not yet a section in this structure, so I’ve added it.

While I can’t yet edit the post again for another 10 hours, here is the current layout:

Start Here
└── Announcements
Live AIPs
General
└── Events
AIP Ideas
AIP Drafts
└── Core: Ecosystem Fund Allocation
└── Core: Brand Decision
└── Process
└── Informational
Final AIPs
└── Implemented AIPs
└── Accepted AIPs
└── Rejected AIPs
Help & Resources
└── FAQs
└── Get Help
└── Stay Safe

I eliminated this for cleanliness. Moderators can use the tagging system, tagging the resubmitted posts as “resubmission”. This will also help us to search for resubmitted posts later on.

2 Likes

Hey! It’s been said that we are in the General Category of the Forum now. We will unlock new areas for AIP discussions and more soon.

I’m not sure if we need this as as a proposal because it is the admin/moderators job to set that up and change it. I do not think things like this need voted on.

I like the way you present setting up the forum. It looks really clean and sleek the way you present it. The mods are watching and reading.:

1 Like

I had initially submitted this as a General category topic, but it was rejected by the mods, saying that it should undergo the AIP process.

It does feel like this probably isn’t a thing that needs a full-blown vote by any means. But socializing it here nonetheless and hope we can make it happen.

1 Like

Hey I agree. We will see more forum categories open up. What was said was that AIP 1&2 governance things needed passed before we get those. I also think that because Cartan Group is responsible for this stuff that they can make changes like forum layout without requiring a snapshot vote. You’re presenting good ideas, I’m following!

1 Like

Thank you for this well thought out proposal. Please allow us a few days to plan, test, document and then adjust the structure.

2 Likes

I don’t think more categories need to be listed right now, we can draw from the discussions that naturally arise over time from the many participants.

“AIP-#: (Name) - (Category)”

Blockquote
When the moderator confirms that an AIP Draft complies with the DAO-approved guidelines, they assign a number to the AIP for identification purposes throughout the rest of the process. From this point on, the AIP is referred to as “AIP-#: (Name) - (Category)”. For example, this AIP is “AIP-1: Proposing the DAO - Process”.

Such a theme is not obvious enough, and everyone’s title is really easy to be confused. It should be marked with a unique symbol that cannot be used by everyone, so that we can distinguish it better. instead of being mixed up like now.

This would be super helpful. There’s gotta be analytics running in the background, right? To monitor what community members are doing when they first come on the page. This would be good to have as well as a test groups.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Thank you @mg for your ideas and the ApeCoin DAO community for the thoughtful discussions. A moderator will get in touch with the author to draft the AIP in the appropriate template. Once the AIP is drafted and meets all the DAO-approved guidelines, the proposal will be posted on Snapshot for live official voting at: Snapshot

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. @mg please see your messages for the next steps.

This proposal is moved to Live AIP. You can find it here: AIP-7: Restructuring the Forum Categories - Informational

2 Likes