[DRAFT] APE Foundation - Cartan Group Transition Plan for January 1, 2023

second this and appreciate all those stepping up in a difficult and urgent situation.

9 Likes

The quick response that @BoredApeG has had along with other members makes me very proud of this community.
I totally agree with what capetaintrippy says. I will vote yes, but because I am afraid of the condition that the DAO organization may remain on January 1 and there will not be enough time to respond.
Perhaps the best option is the one that Yat Siu commented on Twitter. Approve this AIP and allow 3 months to create an action plan in which to delegate the work of Cartan to a third party/community.

7 Likes

Wrote this a bit quickly, for clarity this should say ‘Boring Security DAO’, not Boring DAO. Sorry @Feld! :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

Rather than vote yes for this and then go through an unknown process to claw back the AIP, I would rather see this one fail, and a new one that is a repeat of Cartan’s previous 3-month extension go live for voting ASAP. If Cartan is amenable to working on an extension under the same scope. Yat and other SC members would need to negotiate immediately.

Either way, the contingency team is laying the groundwork for what will ultimately be a viable option moving forward.

7 Likes

Thank you so much for your work @BoredApeG and everyone involved in this discussion.

Emotions are understandably running high on this contentious issue given poor communication and timing by Cartan for their ask and stated reasons for it.

It appears as though they have opted to increase their “risk tolerance premium” (which could be seen as understandable and reasonable in their position). But mostly presenting it as a need for increased resources and then communicating that poorly to the community, inappropriately timed in the midst of the SC elections and Christmas holidays.

Side note: Weren’t we supposed to NOT have any other AIPs going live while SC elections are up for vote?! I know it’s round 1 but still!

While I understand that emotions can be high in this context and the community may not feel comfortable going forward with Cartan anyways at this point, I think it helps to take a step back and review the issue purely through a cost-benefit, risk-opportunity lens:

Approving Cartan’s AIP would cost us roughly $500k more than usual in 3 months (Cartan is asking for roughly $170k more per month). After the 3 months conflict period, we should be able to have worked on an alternative solution that will allow us to submit a new AIP and end our partnership with Cartan if that’s desired by the community at that stage.

Effectively, the DAO will be investing an extra $500k over three months, which could be seen as an investment in time, to enable us to work more proactively together and assess alternative solutions with more clarity and due diligence.

The emotional difficulty of being forced to accept a proposal one does not necessarily support cannot be understated. It is also against the spirit of fair, free and democratic decision making and governance. Yet, with the collective financial standing of the DAO, it can still be seen as an affordable cost for a rectifying solution.

Understandably, I, too, struggle with this dilemma and have yet to submit my final vote until more clarity has been established on alternative options.

Appreciate everyone who is stepping up to contribute. :saluting_face::orange_heart:

9 Likes

Completely agree. I have watched “temporary” governance items become codified too many times and as stated in our discussion yesterday I am 100% against another pseudo temporary extension. Pass or don’t pass, but be prepared to move forward either way.

There is little value in looking back at this point in the DAO, we should be 100% concentrated on building the future. That future should be centered around decentralization, in-DAO capability building, and progression of a mission defined by all the stakeholders of the DAO as I outlined in the AIP Idea here:

5 Likes

Great work on this… And love seeing the community coming together so quickly on the topic.

AC

5 Likes

Hi Capetain,

Thank you and @holocronape for clarifying your thinking here. I’d assume many people feel this way, it’s the exact same way I felt after Cartan requested their first extension at 6 months and there were no other options to keep things running smoothly. The fact that we’re here yet again is incredibly disappointing.

Following bc’s space with Herb on Friday it was clear that Cartan’s focus was, “solely focused” on their profit margins and he was prepared to “dump this” (this being the DAO) if AIP-183 wasn’t passed. He had no interest in a 3-month extension.

I participated in the discussion around @BoredApeG’s excellent transition draft and wanted to clarify one point – as of now there is not enough time to implement any new AIP prior to Cartan’s service agreement expiring at midnight on December 31, 2022. The idea is that the community crafts a transition plan that the SC can enact as is within their rights:

“The Special Council may approve activities outside of the AIP process, so long as such activities do not contradict the terms of any AIP approved by ApeCoin DAO members or the Foundation’s statutory documents” (per Ape Foundation - Transparency Report - Nov 2022.pdf)

$270,000 USD was authorized in spend this way between June 19 - November 14, 2022, so we don’t believe it’s out of the SC scope to fund a critical Transition Plan.

We’re meeting with the Special Council in a little over an hour to assess the current threats, determine viable transition options and chart a solid course forward.

In the case that AIP-183 fails the preferred outcome of this group with our current understanding of the situation is to negotiate an extension with Cartan to provide services during the transition period.

Here’s the full notes from the discussion from yesterday that got us to this point:

We appreciate and welcome your help as we deal with a challenge that did not need to come to bear had Cartan been willing to accept any of the 50+ pages of community feedback on the AIP-183 draft.

5 Likes

Hey Trippy, glad to see you in here. I can fully understand your desire to vote YES to ensure a smooth transition and to allow the 3 new SC members some operational stability.

I’d urge you to consider the viewpoints of folks who have spent time in Discourse and try to see why they are OK with letting Cartan’s contract expire. There may be a facade that this place and the current DAO operations are a well-oiled machine cranking out high-quality AIPs to drive value for ApeCoin holders, when in that’s not the reailty.

2 Likes

I thought so too and had to reread the Election Process AIPs. Only during the final election (3 elected from the final 5 aka next snapshot) are other AIPs excluded.

6 Likes

totally respect this viewpoint. appreciate those that are working to get this done.

4 Likes

appreciate the clarity here regarding ability for special council to step in.

2 Likes

I am okay with moving on as well and it seems that is increasingly the will of the members. my concern is the transition of the operations. seeing the work that is being done here and the possibility of emergency funding for a transition eases those concerns a bit.

6 Likes

Can I just ask, is everyone in the DAO community invited? Or is it between current elected SC members and cartan group for example and therefore closed in essence?

If not, is there a way we could announce and agree on a way to notify everyone, so we can generate maximum attendance, and also helps with the dissemination and development of ideas and general info in real-time if more people can have the choice to attend or not.

I know Herb and cartan group had twitter spaces that were kind of spontaneous - maybe for the time being a new discussion threat could be opened, entitled ‘NOTICE BOARD’, where info is posted for the sole purpose of notifying community about the gatherings.

Thank you

4 Likes

For now, you might want to email Josh and have him add your name to the mailing list per my understanding.

This was a spur of the moment opportunity to discuss a serious situation facing the DAO with a group of people who were available at that exact time. It was in no way meant to be exclusionary and if you’d like to participate in these discussions moving forward please email @badteeth josh@kairoses.com to be notified as we move forward.

4 Likes

Hi Furious,

Tonight’s meeting with the SC evolved out of a spontaneous working session around @BoredApeG’s draft transition plan sheet yesterday. Here are the notes that detail the process:

As @Apeancestor mentioned our goal is to be as inclusive with these spontaneous meets as possible moving forward, so if you’d like to be notified as they come about, please shoot me your email josh@kairoses.com and I’ll include you when the next one comes up. Thank you!

4 Likes

Totally understand the predicament and thank you for your prompt reply - I’ll get that done now.

2 Likes

How’d the call go tonight?

4 Likes

We had a very good call tonight with SC (Yat, Maaria, Amy) and are confident there’s a solid path forward regardless of AIP-183 passing or failing.

Working on follow up now and should have some concrete details to share tomorrow.

17 Likes

Thank you so much for the updates @badteeth :heart:

2 Likes