Cartan Group proposing AIP-183 (expanding scope at >2x the cost) only a few weeks prior to their contract expiration, with no other alternative, is truly unfortunate. Community discussion in discourse was open to a 3-month extension at the current rate with a reduced scope, but Cartan indicated this is not their preference.
We respect Cartan’s business decision. Given the present circumstance, it is now up to the ApeCoin DAO community to provide a reasonable pathway forward.
Cartan subsequently recommended (Twitter space December 16th) that the ApeCoin DAO community connect directly with Special Council regarding transition matters. Therefore, this draft Transition Plan is an ApeCoin DAO community-led framework to address our needs due to Cartan’s departure for January 1, 2023. It will serve as a basis for our initial discussion with Special Council (to be determined if it will need to become a formal AIP).
This document is open for anyone to make comments. Please do so and we will incorporate your feedback; comments will remain open if unresolved prior to the Special Council call.
There is indication that a phone call may occur on Sunday. We will keep the ApeCoin community apprised of all developments in this matter.
Honestly, I have no idea how this will go, but at least we’ll be able to come to a resolution sooner than later.
1.3M votes in Favor for AIP-183 came in over the past few hours [seemingly out of the blue]. We might see forced intervention and they push AIP-183 through, which I think in principle would terrible for optics.
Requesting an extension at the current rate with reduced scope is reasonable > being forced to accept an AIP that is currently being voted down heavily. Otherwise, what’s the point of the DAO voting if at the end of the day we didn’t actually have a choice in the matter?
Again, we did not create this problem. We were not in control of the timing when a service provider (Cartan) to the DAO submitted their AIP. Given the time constraints, the community still provided reasonable comments and they were ignored. No reasonable observer can read that AIP-183 thread and think the community did not try to reason with them. Special Council could have also mitigated this risk sooner as well. It is what it is. Out of sheer principle, how can we just accept the terms as-is? If anything, they should be at least coming back with a better offer than take it as it is.
Otherwise, the DAO is moving on because it was forced to. The community can’t be made to feel bad about this situation (which is seemingly the tone being taken). Not the community’s fault whatsoever.
Thanks for putting this together @BoredApeG. It’s a very comprehensive list.
And also great to see all the people who have raised their hands to help out. I’ve seen the mention of creating a working group for these items. Would it make sense to create multiple, smaller ones to accomplish specific tasks from the list?
For instance, one for treasury-related things, one for legal-related things, one for proposal process related things, etc.? I worry if we try to tackle everything as one big group we are going to be slow to accomplish things. Smaller groups that are still intertwined and working towards a common goal will allow us to be more nimble.
I’m a little concerned just because of the speed of this.
I think we need maybe a parallel run period for the hand over to be flawless and without issue.
When a new system is implemented and the legacy one is removed there is normally always a parallel run period before going live. When planned anyway. Maybe a 3 month extension whilst implementing this plan (which looks a real solid start btw) would ensure all roles are filled and known fully, etc etc, reducing the possible neglect or knowing of very important ‘system quirks’ etc
Anyway, glad it is happening, agree it should, just wonder re the speed.
We wanted a 3-month extension but it was denied. So this is a hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst situation. At least with this the powers that be know the community is ready - the ball is in their court for the next step.
If there is a way around it then perfect, but just as a ‘breathing space’ to get setup without pressure of all responsibilities at once so no mistakes are made seemed a reasonable request, but not against any solution ofc.
Thanks for moving on this everyone. What a wild situation. I haven’t been able to make the last several Twitter Spaces to discuss things with everyone, but I’m here to lend my hand where it can be of use as we move forward.