Requiring Voters Read Full Proposal Before Voting

I’ve been wondering lately just how much of each AIP voters actually read before casting their vote. Personally, I’d love to see a more informed voting populace, and while I’m not even sure if this is possible to implement here we go:

When reading the synopsis of a Live AIP on Snapshot, there is always a link to the full article. Discourse can track, by scrolling, which articles users have “read.” If it’s possible, would anyone be in favor of withholding/gating the ability to vote until the original article has been marked as “read” by the voter?

The pros: voters would need to take the time to at least click into the full, original proposal before casting their vote. Ideally, this leads to greater engagement with the AIP in question and hopefully a more informed vote.

The cons: such restrictions could impede routine voting, and additional hurdles might be perceived as antithetical to a freely accessible, democratic process. It might also be argued that the Snapshot synopsis should contain everything a voter might need to make an informed decision (which I’d disagree with).

Thoughts?

26 Likes

Most of the people dont actually vote , so guess the ones that vote actually read it

4 Likes

Guess again? Important links in an AIP will get a few clicks vs. hundreds of voters.

@CryptoLogically - I’m all “In Favor” of anything that might push more informed voting. The best thing we could do to inspire uninformed voting, though it may seem ironic, is not to have discussions of AIPs in Spaces.

It isn’t an “official” outlet, the words spoken are totally unaccountable, and if the AIP is here then everything germane to it should be here for completion and ease of access.

Bad AIPs and hidden costs / agendas thrive in the disjointed ad-hoc Discord/Spaces/Discourse/elections system currently in place.

4 Likes

You knew more than me for sure i only joined this a few days agoo , but seemed like just a small group voted so i assume those at least read everthing, my fault.

2 Likes

No fault, friend. And welcome.

I’d bet we all presumed similarly at first, but learned the hard way that informed voting is uncommon.

We’re copying all the worst prone-to-failure-and-corruption systems known IRL, with no proper oversight or auditing, and (spoiler alert!) we’re getting similar uninformed voting with highly costly and impactful proposals passing with far less than 50% of the total vote … just like IRL.

Whales have stepped up to save the day last-minute on a few occasions. Hoping the same happens this week so some protections can maybe be put in place before its too late.

2 Likes

It’s an interesting discussion for sure… Similar but different, I was talking to a few Bored Canada members today at lunch about getting weekly voice calls in the server going where we can go through the proposals together. Pretty big delegation that we take seriously and recognize the weight of our votes.

6 Likes

Love this. Strength in numbers, action within collective momentum.

1 Like

You totally can/should @AllCityBAYC! But also FYI you can join existing weekly calls if times work for ya’ll, they’re done by the comms team through @ApeComms twitter and sometimes @ApeCoin too. Link to the last one (go to 16:45 if you want to jump directly to proposal discussion):

https://twitter.com/i/spaces/1dRJZMglPoAGB?s=20

I generally like this idea if it’s simple, it won’t solve the problem in a major way, but it may help it by 2-5% (in terms of percentage of voters) and that’s great.

However, UX needs to be seamless, so if I scroll through proposal once, this needs to be remembered (ideally in database, but cookies may be ok too). So if close/come back to page, it remembers. These kind of features can add up to annoying UX if not polished properly like the way I mention here.

3 Likes

This is easy to achieve, but who gonna do the development? Is it require another AIP? And require voters to read through and understand. Kinda dead loop. We can’t remtoe control others IMO

2 Likes

I appreciate the idea of restricting voting to educated voters… is there potentially a situation where an English as a second language individuals could be restricted even though they are informed through other means? What channels could be provided to educate voters by other means? Does every AIP receive a video explanation as well for vision impaired? I like the concept, just thinking about outliers.

4 Likes

Great point, however there is only one accurate means of info - this forum.

If they’re using translation software, no problem. If they’re getting info by other means there’s no reason to believe that info is accurate, especially given some of the amounts at stake.

3 Likes

To me I think those that vote do actually read before voting. But I do agree some may just vote based on the title of the AIP or just speed reading before fully going thru in depth the essence and importance of the AIP to fully understand it before casting their vote

2 Likes

I like the concept completely. It should undoubtedly be a qualification to have some knowledge in regards to what someone is casting a vote on. If that’s reading the vote in it’s entirety, I would do so.

How about a TLDR video attached to proposals? I guess that’s another AIP idea…

1 Like

I think it’s a fascinating idea to require voters to read the full proposal before casting their vote. It would certainly help ensure that voters are more informed and engaged in the decision-making process. However, I can also see some potential drawbacks to this approach.

On the one hand, requiring voters to read the full proposal before voting would encourage greater engagement and discussion around the proposal, which could lead to better decision-making. By ensuring that voters have access to all of the relevant information before casting their vote, we can help ensure that the outcome of the vote is more reflective of the will of the community. Even reduce the ratio of abstain votes (related to this topic).

On the other hand, there is a risk that such a requirement could be perceived as antithetical to a freely accessible, democratic process. Additionally, it could impede routine voting for those who may not have the time or resources to read through every proposal in full.

Overall, I think it’s a worthwhile discussion to have, and there may be ways to implement this approach without creating unnecessary barriers to participation. Perhaps we could consider offering a summary of the proposal, with a clear indication that a full article is available for those who want to learn more, @SeraStargirl and @Halina.eth making great job in that matter. This could help strike a balance between encouraging engagement and ensuring accessibility.

-Mr. Hype :fire:

2 Likes

Good! :slight_smile:

Having a clue what one is voting on isn’t a barrier to participation, it’s a basic requirement. At least ethically. If we make it an official requirement, even in some small way, so much the better, and much better than IRL voting where the major problem is self-serving and uninformed voting.

2 Likes

Voting is a responsibility, not just a right. If one can’t bother to read what they’re voting for, one shouldn’t be voting.

But regardless this is a mute point tbh since people who don’t want to read, won’t. They’ll just scroll to the bottom / wait for timer to end so the vote buttons are enabled (whichever system is implemented). All this here does is encourages people to read. But it doesn’t (and no system will) prevent people from voting without reading, if they really want to go that route.

We should encourage people to read, imho. A whole lotta money is at stake!

3 Likes

Communities that have a large delegated vote must definitely get together and discuss the proposals. Nice to see Bored Canada members putting in such processes

2 Likes

Do you always read the terms of service before scrolling and signing? If not, perhaps its the material.

Personally I think the responsibility to get someone to engage with their AIP lies solely on the author not the reader.

The Motivation in my humble opinion should not only explain your motivation for writing an AIP, but it should instead be used to Motivate someone to continue reading.

7 Likes

Mmm interesting and good point.

Also videos are underutilized tbh.

1 Like