AIP-200: Add "Abstain" option to Snapshot

Proposal Name: Add “Abstain” Option to Snapshot

Proposal Category: Process

Abstract

Adding the abstain option, in addition to “In Favor” and “Against” allows voters and delegates to participate in voting without having to take a side.

Motivation

Adding abstain to voting allows users to vote on every proposal regardless of how they feel about the proposal. This would also allow ApeCoin DAO delegates to maintain a high voter participation rate.

Rationale

Many delegates and voters will simply not vote if they wish to vote against a proposal. This weakens the data for # of voters and # of votes and makes our DAO look less active than it really is.

Specifications

Add Abstain to Snapshot. Abstentions do not affect the outcome of the vote.

Steps to Implement

The relevant parties responsible for Discourse and Snapshot will add the Abstain option to all future proposals in addition to “In Favor” and “Against”.

Timeline

As soon as administratively possible

Overall Cost

There is no overall cost to the DAO.

11 Likes

Yep. Do it, do it now! :pray::raised_hands:

13 Likes

Simple. Makes sense. Let’s do it :saluting_face:

11 Likes

Definitely on board with this, much needed. Interested in hearing if anyone has a reason not to do this.

Thanks,
Lost
:gorilla::orange_heart:

9 Likes

This makes so much sense, and has the added benefit of getting voters in the habit of coming to Snapshot weekly whether they plan to Abstain or not.

Excited to see the analytics that come out of this, and I’m hopeful our voting numbers go up! Thanks for proposing @Amplify :smiley:

-Halina.eth :cherry_blossom:

6 Likes

This totally makes sense and should’ve been done from day 1

6 Likes

Great idea! Could help to get more participation.

3 Likes

Makes a lot of sense to me. There could be some really interesting work done on understanding why people abstain and then making improvements to try to reduce these reasons for abstaining. I appreciate there will always be some sound reasons though!

4 Likes

I think that this is a great option. Especially if people can leave a reason for why they abstained, it could go a long way towards establishing a comprehensive voting history

5 Likes

Been saying this almost from day 1! Thank you so much @Amplify for doing the work and submitting the AIP. I hope this can go up for a vote and be implemented asap. :raised_hands::handshake:

7 Likes

Yes! This AIP was inspired by you. :heart: I heard you mention it during a spaces recording and thought it was a no-brainer. :slight_smile:

Thank you!! :pray:

10 Likes

A needed change. Let’s do it.

6 Likes

There have been plenty of proposals I’ve simply not voted on, and likely would have if “Abstain” were an option. Let’s go.

4 Likes

Thanks for writing an AIP to do this! I abstain fairly often, and frustrated that it looks like I’m not voting.

7 Likes

Hi @Amplify,

Your topic will be automatically closing in less than 24 hours. Are you content with the feedback received, or do you wish to extend community discussion for a further 7 days?

If we do not hear from you within 48 hours after your topic closes, your topic will be moved straight to the AIP Draft process.

We look forward to hearing from you.

-Escape

1 Like

I’m content, thank you!

4 Likes

Thank you @Amplify for your ideas and the ApeCoin DAO community for the thoughtful discussions. A moderator will get in touch with the author to draft the AIP in the appropriate template. Once the AIP is drafted and meets all the DAO-approved guidelines, the proposal will be posted on Snapshot for live official voting at: Snapshot

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. @Amplify please see your messages for the next steps.

-Escape

4 Likes

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@Amplify has completed editing their AIP Idea to be their AIP Draft.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-Escape

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.