AIP-228: $APE for Bored Ape Yacht Club Discord 'Club Mods'

Proposal Name: $APE for Bored Ape Yacht Club Discord ‘Club Mods’

Proposal Category: Ecosystem Fund Allocation

Abstract | Two or three sentences that summarize the proposal.

The Bored Ape Yacht Club discord is the hub for the community. Mods are currently unpaid, while giving so much to the ecosystem. It is only right that we, as a DAO, work together to fund the mods.

Author Description (mandatory if the AIP is requesting funds) | A brief background of yourself

My name is Camol - I own multiple Ape Coins and am the Partnership/Marketing Lead at Sappy Seals.

Team Description (mandatory if the AIP is requesting funds) | A brief background of your team involved, if any

The team is all Bored Ape Yacht Club discord members with the ‘Club Mod’ role.

Motivation | A statement on why the APE Community should implement the proposal.

The mods of the discord work EVERY DAY for FREE. The value they provide is paramount for the success of the yacht club, including the DAO. Asking them to work for free, when we can use our DAO to show our appreciation is very wrong. Let’s do something good for those who have done so much to us. This aip is for 6 months, and after that it is expected an ape will resubmit this as it is irresponsible and unappreciative to not pay the bayc mods.

Rationale | An explanation of how the proposal aligns with the APE Community’s mission and guiding values.

Will give financial backing to volunteer workers who dedicate countless hours to the Yacht Club and the DAO.

Specifications | A detailed breakdown of the platforms and technologies that will be used.

The DAO will distribute payments monthly to all club mods.

Steps to Implement | The steps to implement the proposal, including associated costs, manpower, and other resources for each step where applicable.

1. Vote passes

2. All mods payment wallets are identified

3. Payments are sent on a monthly basis using $APE

Timeline | Relevant timing details, including but not limited to start date, milestones, and completion dates.

Will be implemented immediately after approval.

Overall Cost | The total cost to implement the proposal.

$2500/m per mod

1 Like

Nice, just as a bystander I think you should mention the complete breakdown, not just $2,500 a month per month, followed by justifying the ask maybe. Community management is an underrated part, but if its just discord then you should for sure calculate the ask accordingly.

Also a proper ask should be there, for example :-
570 APE per mod for a given period of time. Let’s say 3 months, a total number of mods
Lets assume that there are 4 months, covering different timezones for the community.
So per month would be 2,280 APE and entire ask should be 6,840 APE ( 4 mods for 3 months )

3 Likes

Unpaid mods should not be a thing.

However, this feels like a Yuga issue moreso than a DAO issue.

7 Likes

Thanks for the input - I will incorporate this as we continue the process!

2 Likes

I agree - and hopefully this can be the catalyst for change. As the DAO is a part of the ‘Yuga Ecosystem’ we can do our best to step-up when needed.

1 Like

heyo @camol

As @Evil mentioned, getting real numbers to the idea will help the community understand the ask. With that in mind, initial questions:

• Are we sure that the 6 Managers and 2 Mods of BAYC do NOT get compensated in some way by Yuga?

• As @Marklar suggested, could this be a Yuga responsibility similar to their arrangement with BAYC Council members being paid $25k a year?

• Do you think if this gets approved it could set a precedent whereby YugaLabs and other Corporations could approach the DAO to help pay for their “volunteers”?

• What is the ultimate benefit to the ApeCoinDAO?

To be clear, I am not a fan of projects not paying their Discord Managers or Mods, and this is a major surprise to me if accurate.

Thanks for bringing this up.

SSP :v:t4:

5 Likes

To your question, I have reached out to a few BAYC Discord mods and can confirm that mods are in fact volunteers and are not paid, but receive “various benefits/perks through rollouts and activations.”

However, the Managers DO receive financial compensation, which is worth noting. Camol doesn’t refer to them as far as I can tell, so it’s good to make that distinction.

5 Likes

Thanks for bringing this up, @camol. I didn’t even realize their work was currently unpaid, but I also feel strongly (regardless of the Yuga vs ApeCoin DAO debate) that we should step in to make them whole for their efforts. I also think it sends a strong signal to the overall community that we don’t leave anyone ‘behind’ or unrewarded who in a broad sense helps our community.

If we market this move nicely (we could think about retrospective remuneration or implement some incentives for ApeCoin DAO specific activities), I think we can even attract people from the BAYC discord to the DAO and encourage participation in the long run!

2 Likes

I agree that we should compensate the Moderators fairly as they are an important part of community management and shape how the interpersonal interactions take place between community members.

How many mods are needed (taking into account the various Time zones) to effectively manage the chats and will those positions be long term or short term (2-3 month)

How will fund distribution work? as in will the funds be directly sent from the treasury or will they sit in a multisig or something ?

I think the Proposal holds weight, it’s a Yes from me

2 Likes

While I do love the BAYC mods and do agree that they should be paid, I don’t think it should come from the DAO. Apecoin, even though connected, was set up to be untethered with Yuga. That being said, if we could pry some of those mods away from the BAYC discord (hehe) and have them mod in the DAO discord, I’d be completely down to allocate some funds for them. :supervillain:

7 Likes

Mods should have a salary when they give so much to the community and I’d love Yuga to take on that. The ApeCoin Foundation I think would be over stepping it’s bounds by giving a salary or rewards to the mods for BAYC. But I see the point and I’ll love to see how this AIP evolves!

3 Likes

I find this approach interesting but somewhat clumsy.
I don’t think it’s up to the DAO to bear this kind of compensation.

However, perhaps a little more information would be needed to give us a better idea of ​​the work done by these moderators:

1. How many are there?

2. What is the number of hours worked?

3. Do they all have the same level of involvement and expertise?

4. What exactly is the support they provide to the community?

5. Have they ever been active here on Discourse?

6. At the very least, at the time of writing your AIP Idea, did they already have an account created here?

7. Have they already voted on Snapshot for the ApeCoin DAO?

3 Likes

I agree, tbh between ApeCoin DAO Discourse and Discord I rarely go into the BAYC discord. Not to disparage it, but not seeing it as a ApeCoin DAO responsibility area.

I do agree mods should be paid, but seems logical in this case it should be yuga paying.

5 Likes

Doesn’t anyone feel that this proposal is essentially undermining Yuga and the way they choose to conduct their brand?

There are 4-5 unpaid mods in BAYC Discord, and 8 paid managers. The path is typically that mods (who also receive perks like airdrops and activations, which for Yuga is clearly nothing to be taken lightly) often are eventually promoted to Managers. It’s essentially like an internship, as I understand it.

If Yuga chooses to run their Discord in this way, I say it’s not in the DAO’s purview to intervene or undermine their practices. Let’s let sleeping dogs lie here.

13 Likes

Very logically put, you are well named ser!

3 Likes

This.

I can’t see how an unrelated party (assuming Camol isn’t a Mod), proposing another unrelated party (ApeCoin DAO), compensate a third party’s employees or volunteers makes any sense.

I’ve been trying to figure out a way to point this out, thanks for nailing it.

8 Likes

Hi @camol,

Your topic will be automatically closing in less than 24 hours. Are you content with the feedback received, or do you wish to extend community discussion for a further 7 days?

If we do not hear from you within 48 hours after your topic closes, your topic will be moved straight to the AIP Draft process.

We look forward to hearing from you.

-Amplify

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@Camol has completed editing their AIP Idea to be their AIP Draft.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-Amplify

3 Likes