The ApeCoin community seeks a proponent to build ApeChain, a dedicated ApeCoin blockchain that scales $APE and supports the growth of the ApeCoin ecosystem.
Over community discussions in recent weeks and months, it has become clear that the ApeCoin community would like a Request for Proposals (RFP) process for ApeChain. In order to assist with this process, the APE Foundation is announcing this RFP to select a proponent to build ApeChain.
ApeCoin is a fungible ERC-20 token on the Ethereum blockchain that serves as a means of network governance and as a utility token for Web3 projects.
ApeCoin is a token made to support what’s next, controlled and built on by the community. It serves as a decentralized protocol layer for community-led initiatives that drive culture forward into the metaverse.
The ApeCoin community governs itself via the ApeCoin DAO, the decentralized framework that governs the APE Foundation and, in turn, the ApeCoin Ecosystem Fund. The DAO utilizes a proposal process to vote on how the Ecosystem Fund will be distributed by the APE Foundation to promote a diverse and self-sustaining ecosystem.
3. Purpose of this Request for Proposals
To serve the vision of the ApeCoin DAO, this RFP is intended to streamline the ApeCoin DAO’s consideration of ApeChain proposals.
This RFP outlines a timeline for the RFP process, and provides suggestions to proponents on features and characteristics which they may wish to include in their proposals and questions that proponents may wish to answer in their proposals. These features, characteristics, and questions/answers, are all factors which ApeCoin DAO community members may in turn wish to consider when ultimately casting their votes on the proposals.
4. ApeChain Features and Characteristics
The following are some potential features and characteristics ApeChain proponents may wish to highlight in their proposals, and questions that ApeChain proponents may wish to answer:
- Throughput (transactions per second)
- Transaction fees
Upgradeability & Extensibility
- What is the path to upgrading the proposed blockchain? (e.g. are upgrades forkless, or require network participants to coordinate a fork?)
- What is the path to extending features?
Security & Decentralization
- Consensus model
- Block validation
- Account abstraction
- Data availability
- $APE use case (e.g. can $APE be used to secure the chain and/or what are other use cases for $APE in the proposed blockchain?)
- Will $APE be used to incentivize network participants (e.g. validators or miners)?
- Will $APE be used as a gas token?
- Is there a proposed update to the existing $APE tokenomics? (e.g. changes to on-chain treasury management)
- Account abstraction, including ability to incorporate custom gasless transactions
- Support of precompiles that facilitate gaming or other use-cases as the community and ecosystem deems it fit
- Support for modern smart contracts languages and approaches that expand developer adoption (e.g. Web Assembly (WASM) support)
- Availability of funding to build public goods and stimulate growth of ApeChain and the ApeCoin ecosystem
Gaming Support & Discussion
- Can the proposed blockchain architecture be optimized for high-performance gaming transactions and interactions, with minimal latency and maximum security? If so, you may elaborate.
- Robust support for Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs) to represent unique in-game items and assets, providing true digital ownership to players. This is not limited to the support of established EVM non-fungible token standards such as ERC-721 or ERC 1155; but also open to
- Ethereum improvement proposals (EIPs) related to NFTs and gaming,
- Support for native on-chain game engines such as Mud, Dojo, Paima game engine and others
- Cross-platform compatibility and interoperability, allowing for a unified gaming experience across various games and platforms.
- User-centric design, ensuring ease of use for gamers of all levels, with intuitive interfaces and straightforward navigation. This is not limited to supporting concepts such as account abstraction, but also refers to custom mechanisms that lead to faster onboarding or tailored gaming experiences.
- Are there any limitations on making upgrades to the chain, forking parts of the software and/or making it customizable?
- Can ApeChain be spun out under a different technology stack in the future?
Foreseeable Limitations, Constraints & Assumptions
As research and innovation related to blockchain technology rapidly advance, existing approaches are likely to become outdated and/ or lose preference. To this end, you may elaborate on any foreseeable limitations, constraints and working assumptions under which the proposed ApeChain architecture is presented under. This is not limited to technology considerations, but also relates to business and user adoption considerations.
5. RFP Timeline
This RFP will go live on December 28, 2023. The APE Foundation will correspond with proponents to assist with drafting proposals, as needed.
Proponents should follow the AIP Draft Template when preparing their proposals.
When completing the “Platforms & Technologies” section of the AIP Draft Template, proponents are encouraged to consider including the “Potential ApeChain features and characteristics” outlined in Section 4 of this RFP.
Proponents applying for the RFP will be required to submit their proposal via the ApeCoin DAO Discourse no later than January 11, 2024, 8pm EST and must clear Administrative Review prior to the start of Voting Period Round 1. Proposals received outside of this channel, or after this date and time, may not qualify for this RFP and may not be eligible to go to vote at the same time as the qualifying proposals.
There will be a Community Feedback period from January 11, 2024, to January 31, 2024, during which ApeCoin DAO members can reply to the Discourse posts of the proposals, in order to ask questions and seek feedback.
On February 1, 2024, an ApeCoin DAO-wide vote to select the successful ApeChain proposal will go live on Snapshot. The vote will close on February 14, 2024 which is in alignment with AIP-362 - AIP-362: Establish bi-monthly AIP voting periods
There will not be a second round of voting
When approved by the ApeCoin DAO via the passage of an AIP, this ApeChain will be supported by the DAO. While this ApeChain can be supported by the DAO, the DAO may in the future decide to change the nature of its support or rescind it entirely.
The APE Foundation reserves the right to make future updates and enhancements to this RFP document as it sees fit, and to incorporate any feedback from the community.