Proposal Name: Public Goods Funding for ETHDenver hackathon
Proposal Category: Public Goods Funding
This AIP provides for $30k USD paid in ApeCoin to fund a hackathon for people building for ApeCoin, in the spirit of AIP-96 (ETHGlobal SF hackathon sponsorship). The funding will go towards sponsoring the ETHDenver hackathon taking place from March 2nd to March 5th, 2023.
Participating in these initiatives gets ApeCoin more visibility and encourages developers to build for this community. It also serves as a way for ApeCoin to support public goods and other communities.
The current AIP process makes it difficult to vet and fund a large number of potential contributors and projects in an effective way. By leveraging existing trusted ecosystems like ETHGlobal and ETHDenver, ApeCoin DAO can efficiently scale support for developers and contributors who want to build within the ecosystem.
By participating in these programs ApeCoin also has the opportunity to fund public good efforts within the broader crypto ecosystem. The space is still so early that we need to encourage open source building that others can leverage. We need to encourage continued innovation and building in the space, and this is an opportunity for us to support those contributors who are pushing us forward.
I am requesting:
- $25k to participate in the ETHDenver hackathon ($25k sponsorship fee deck 5)
- $5k for logistics. We will need to coordinate logistics such as promotional banners, incidental expenses, and materials and swag to give to hackers and attendees!
By participating in ETH hackathons, ApeCoin is participating in the collective efforts that will continue to push the entire cryptocurrency ecosystem forward. There are many L1s and DeFi protocols that already participate, but participation from the NFT community is still relatively nascent. Grant funding will encourage developers to build new applications for the NFT community, which should be a major objective of ApeCoin DAO.
ETHDenver is the Premiere Ethereum hackathon DAO and has run hackathons which attracted builders from around the world and online since 2018. These events have attracted over 55,000 attendees and 7,000 builders from all 50 states and internationally. ETHDenver is the flagship hackathon of 2023.
The goal of this funding is to increase awareness and adoption of ApeCoin. We will work with ETHDenver to provide key metrics to the DAO post-hackathon.
This AIP allows members of the ApeCoin DAO to use the ApeCoin brand assets for promotional purposes for live and online events.
Largest hackathon of the year, runs from March 2nd to March 5th, 2023. Funding will cover $25k sponsorship fee. You can look at examples of how the program is set up here:
We will also be able to select one item for the swag bag. I’d like a community member to select the item and coordinate the logistics (I’m willing to volunteer as I have last year for ETH SF, please message me if you’d like to help as well!)
Once the proposal passes, ETHDenver will send us an invoice, and we can remit payment via wire or tokens. Invoice will specify payment details.
Steps to Implement:
Phased grant payouts as follows:
- After AIP is passed, ETHDenver will send us an invoice for $25k that we can pay via wire or $APE. Payment specifications will be available on invoice.
- Remaining $5k reserved for promotional materials, incidental expenses, and swag to feature at the hackathon. Payment information TBD.
- If this AIP passes, we will use the ApeCoin Logo to create swag items and branding resources for the hackathon sponsorship table. No items will be sold and no profits will be earned in this AIP. Additionally, we will create a package of generic assets & promotional materials that can be used by members of the ApeCoin DAO for in-person and online events, provided that these materials are used for promotional purposes only. This marketing and promotional package can only be used for non-profitable causes.
ETHDenver’s core hackathon event takes place from March 2nd to 5th, 2023, so we need to finalize funding asap. Once funding is finalized I will confirm ApeCoin’s participation in the program so we can finalize any necessary paperwork and remit funding.
Halina.eth is a longtime community member of ApeCoin DAO and spearheaded the logistics and preparation for the 2022 AIP-96 sponsorship of the ETHGlobal SF hackathon.
- @Halina.eth will coordinate logistics, 100% of funding will go to the event and logistics.
- @veratheape will coordinate logistics and represent ApeCoin DAO as a community member.
- More team members will be added as confirmed (please message me if you’d like to join the event as an ApeCoin representative)
$30k USD paid in ApeCoin
This includes: $25k for ETHDenver hackathon and $5k for logistics such as promotional materials, incidental expenses, and ApeCoin swag (this funding will be called as necessary)
- ETHDenver sponsorship program cost breakdown:
Proposals submitted to the AIP Ideas category can be vague, incomplete ideas. Topics submitted here are not required to be submitted as a formal AIP Draft Template, however, you may still use the template if you wish.