ApeDomain - the omni-chain name service for ApeCoin
Ervin Zhuang, Co-founder, Star Protocol
Alex Sly, Strategy and marketing lead, Star Protocol
Star Protocol (star.co ) offers a universal omni-chain name service, leveraging cross-chain messaging protocols like LayerZero. With extensive experience and trust within the community from deploying 11 successful omnichain domain name services across 29 networks. Servicing over 370,000 unique wallet holders, with 500,000+ registrations. Our cross-chain name service is live on over 29 networks with successful launch of 11 TLDs including .op, .zk, .base, .linea, .kroma, .scroll, .zkapp, .mnt, and .iloveyou.
With ongoing Apechain development discussions, we are proposing the creation of an omni-chain name service ‘.ape’. Enabling necessary infrastructure for ApeCoin-driven identity solutions, where the introduction of .ape enhances community visibility and strengthens existing Ape branding exposure.
We realized from the rejected AIP-224 proposal that an approach focused on providing .ape domains with greater distribution channels integrated with utility of $APE are required.
The ultimate goal of this proposal is to promote widespread acceptance of .ape extensions as recognized and trusted names within the Ape community and greater ecosystem. The .ape domain has tremendous potential to become a mainstream domain service.
There are three key problems we are looking to solve that the author of AIP-224 could not solve;
- The interoperability of DID. Recent proliferation of blockchain name services have resulted in fragmented systems across Layer 1 (L1) and Layer 2 (L2) networks, lacking interoperability and omni-chain compatibility. At present, many of these name service providers offer only single-chain domains, resulting in commoditized products. An omni-chain name service interoperable with other networks deployed on both EVM and non-evm compatible networks will be necessary for future proofing a long term DID system.
- Reliability of development and operation. Many teams proposed building .ape domains from scratch, lacking any operational or development experience. Star’s track record alleviates these concerns to deploy a DID project with dedicated customer service capabilities to support the vast Ape community.
- Revenue Sharing with DAO. Integrating DID services increases the potential for long term DAO revenues, especially as the number of $APE holders increases. In this proposal we clearly outline the revenue sharing structure between the ApeCoin DAO, achieved through either donations or a revenue sharing model. While also incorporating $APE as a method of payment for registrations to further embed these DID services within the APE ecosystem.
We believe the Star team is perfectly positioned to support the ApeCoin DAO in providing a name service that overcomes existing issues associated with Web3 domains, surpassing them to provide a superior identity solution.
Star Protocol wants to empower a universal identity layer for Web3, facilitating identity solutions for the “open metaverse” and beyond. Providing the community with more ways to express their inner Ape!
Through our own experience, we found the current landscape of Web3 DNS offers low utility; What appears to be a straightforward copy of Web2 domains can be months or years before real on-chain utility offers more than the equivalent off-chain utility offered by web2 domains.
Given these issues, our teams extensive blockchain development knowledge combined with our experience in deploying successful omnichain domains name systems, we believe make us an ideal team for this undertaking.
BENEFIT TO APECOIN ECOSYSTEM:
With the blockchain Identity management market expected to increase from $1.3B in 2023 to $35.1B in 2028 at a rate of ~92% growth annually. A forward-thinking approach to DID utility will be required for maximizing value capture back to the Ape community.
.ape name service enriches community members’ on-chain experience by offering;
- Human-readable addresses
- Decentralized website hosting
- Personalized email addresses
- Seamless social media forwarding
- Alleviating link shortages.
All the while holding intrinsic value that contributes to the preservation & increase of the ApeCoin ecosystem.
Key benefits added below;
- Revenue Sharing: The fee of registration and renewal fee is shared by Star Protocol (60%) and ApeCoin DAO (40%). The DAO would be entitled to 40% of every dollar earned when total revenue exceeds $200,000 USD.
- Advanced omni-chain interoperability: Employs an interconnected DNS to facilitate a streamlined user experience across Web3.
- Omni-chain resolution API: Streamlining DNS integration into Ape dApps for omni-chain resolution to build out the fully interoperable ApeCoin identity infrastructure.
- End-to-end TLD registration, management, UI & UX design: A dedicated website for the .ape domains will be created. The Star team will establish a unique X/Twitter Channel, a Discord space, and customized roles for .ape holders. This setup will coordinate campaigns with various APE ecosystem projects.
- Dedicated network of partners As a Consensys’ Scale partner, we leverage their technical capabilities to constantly improve our service. Combining them with the distribution of our existing 282 L1 & L2 partners, will enable us to boost .ape exposure and utility on dApps like Dmail.
- Leveraging our ongoing partnership with Consensys as 1 of 10 projects selected to join their Scale program in 2023 Q4, provides significant technical resources to leverage when developing the .ape domain name system.
- Our exclusive name service collaboration with Wemade’s (Largest gaming company in Korea 160M Users) subsidiary LIghtscale, as the official name service for their Layer 2 network Kroma, provides strong a network partner.
- Technical Innovation and security - Over 370K users have registered 500K omnichain domains on Star Protocol in 2023. Our commitment to technical excellence ensures that ApeCoin DAO benefits from the latest advancements in blockchain technology, emphasizing security, efficiency, and scalability.
- Media network – Discord membership of ~165K, Twitter followers 274K, Guild.xyz members 149K
- DNS – Domain Name System – The phonebook of the internet. People access online information through domain names. Web browsers interact through the internet protocol (IP) addresses. DNS translates domain names into IP addresses so browsers can load internet resources.
- Blockchain name service - translates complex blockchain addresses into human-friendly names, enhancing user experience and facilitating easier transactions within a decentralized and secure framework, akin to the internet’s DNS but for blockchain wallets and resources.
- DID - Decentralized Identity - Integrates blockchain technologies to remove reliance on centralized third parties for identity information storage, enabling users to own and control their digital identities securely and privately, without central authority oversight.
- TLD - Top Level Domain - At the end of domain names and are important for classifying domain names as well as essential for DNS lookups.
- Omni-chain - facilitates interoperability between disparate blockchain networks, enabling seamless asset transfer and communication, thereby creating an integrated, multi-chain ecosystem.
EXAMPLE USE CASES
- Advanced omni-chain interoperability: Employs an interoperable DNS to facilitate community recognition and branding for .ape domains across Web3 by implementing a superior DID system.
- Improving the utility and versatility of $APE: Payment options in $APE or $ETH for registrations and renewals for .ape domains are built in.
PLATFORMS & TECHNOLOGIES:
Core Components: The service includes a web application and offers omni-chain non-fungible tokens (NFTs), which could serve as unique, blockchain-based domain names. It also features a price oracle for accurate registration fee, a multi-top-level domain (TLD) registrar controller for domain management, a multi-chain node controller, and on-chain web hosting capabilities.
Cross-chain Infrastructure: The platform utilizes cross-chain messaging protocols like LayerZero and Wormhole, and also includes support for Axellar, which is tailored for Cosmos. Currently, only LayerZero (https://layerzero.network/ ) is integrated with Star Protocol.
Supporting Blockchain: .ape will be deployed on Ethereum. It is compatible with a diverse set of Layer1 and Layer2 including Ethereum, and others represented by their symbols, indicating a wide reach and the ability to interact with multiple blockchain ecosystems. Bitcoin is not supported yet while the team is exploring the possibility of DID in bitcoin netowrk.
Pricing of Domains Registration of .ape:
The domain name should be renewed annually. A life-time holding option is not suggested here.
3-character domain – US$ 400
4-character domain – US$ 100
5 and 5+ character domain – US$ 5
STEPS TO IMPLEMENT & TIMELINE:
1.) Proposal Passes and Grant Agreement Signed
Upon community approval, Star Protocol will enter into a grant agreement with the Ape Foundation.
Estimated timeline; 1 week.
2.) Product Development
Smart contract development
UI & UX designed with community suggestions.
Testing by Ape community. We aim to utilize the resources of the ApeCoin DAO’s community-driven Beta tester program.
Estimated timeline; 3 weeks.
3.) Layer Zero Support for omni-chain interoperability
Cross-chain Testing by Ape community.
Estimated timeline; 2 weeks.
4.) Integrate .ape domain url inside the ApeCoin official website and other Dapps by Ape marketing (2 weeks)
Estimated timeline; 2 weeks.
Pre-registration (48 hours): a whitelist minting will be done according to the one-time off snapshot results.
The maximum minting domains for each wallet is to be decided and announced 7 days before the product launch.
Estimated timeline; 2 days.
6.) Open minting to public
Minting of .ape domains will be open to the public.
The Foundation would be expected to integrate a .ape domain url inside the ApeCoin official website; the Ape Foundation will place an individual link on the landing page as follows:
After users click this Ape Domain, it takes the users to an individual page to purchase the domains. We will secure an individual domain for the service and would love to ask ApeCoin Foundation to set up a subdomain such as “did.apecoin[dot]com" or “ans.apecoin[dot]com” to bind with our server. We will pre-mint “apecoin.ape” for the official of apecoin.com.
Although development and maintenance require costs, which we estimate to be $120,000, all the cost will be covered by Star Protocol. This part will be deducted from the first part of the revenue sharing until the sharing exceeds $80,000 (updated from a previous figure of $120,000). After that, we will begin to make payments to ApeCoin DAO at a rate of 40% (that is, the DAO would be entitled to 40% of every dollar earned when total revenue exceeds $200,000 USD).
Cost breakdown and allocation are only an estimation and subject to change.
Cash flow-out - Expenses % $USD
Product Development Work 37% 44,000 (the Ape Foundation assists in ensuring that the UI & UX align with the branding rules of the ApeCoin Foundation, providing feedback to adjust as needed)
Quality Assurance & Launch 5% 6,000
Server Cost (3 years) 30% 36,000
Operation (3 years) 15% 18,000
Marketing 8% 10,000
Legal 5% 6,000
Total 100% 120,000
- 1 Tech Lead
- 2 Smart Contract Developers
- 1 Front end developers
- 1 Backend Developer
- 1 UX/UI designer
- 1 Business/marketing lead
- 1 Community events
Links to all Star Protocol Resources;
A new tool that blends your everyday work apps into one. It’s the all-in-one workspace for you and your team