AIP-487: ApeCoin Community Engagement Platform

FAQ-2

DOES THIS MEAN THAT WE WILL HAVE ACCESS TO THE ALGANON MMORPG?

No. Alganon is a completely separate GAME project that is part of my Web3 studio’s on-going 3-project portfolio for re-deployment on another chain. That Web3 portfolio includes Alganon (fantasy RPG) + Line Of Defense (sci-fi FPS) + WSG (DePIN) - and all three are already part of a “cohesive suite”.

Last year, AIP-316 was to be an ApeCoin project with an initial $2M ask. After much push back and because the DAO has traditionally not favored the funding of games, I had reduced it to a $500K branding/marketing initiative. That ultimately failed at vote. And so, I moved on. I swore never to re-submit it. And so, I never did. Even with ApeChain. I tend to be very resolute in my decision making process.

My vision for ACE using pre-existing tech to build and power AOW, is no different from other tech related initiatives such a Sequence, ApeExpress and others which can be used to build and power various projects.

HOW DOES THE THEMED APECOIN ONLINE WORLD WORK?

A theme refers to concept and style.

In that regard, as AOW is built primarily for Apes, the vision is for it to be themed as such. In this case, given that all 10K Apes have a license to use their apes as they see fit, the 3D models will have to be imported into AOW using its pre-existing plugin system. And so, this applies to BAYC and MAYC. And to an extend, BAKC entities can be created as “pets” within AOW seeing as the engine already supports the concept.

However, it’s not as simple as it sounds.

For one thing, creating an environment for only 10K people/apes, most of whom don’t even come to the community, let alone played Dookey Dash, isn’t a path to success. And so, we have to determine how AOW is going to support other Yuga IP, MocaVerse characters etc. And with that will come licensing challenges because despite the fact that the ACE project will be owned and operated by the ApeCoin community, there are still third-party licenses required for the use of external IP. It’s precisely how Roblox and Fortnite work to do licensing deals for featuring third-party IP in their online worlds. And if you have seen the Sandbox metaverse world map, then you have an idea of what I am talking about and how we can build out AOW.

Due to the design of the engine used to create AOW, separate lands can be created for specific IP. This means that there could be lands for different IP. And they can be open access or gated (ApeID class, AOW token, $APE etc.).

The Alganon game is a fantasy MMORPG. And so, the entire world is themed as such. Whereas Second Life and Entropia Universe are themed to specific targets, while Sandbox, Roblox, Fortnite and their ilk have a unique base theme layer to build from. Similarly, each AOW land mass can be themed in a generic fashion or specific to a theme or IP.

My vision for AOW is for it to be a generic ape themed environment with [generic] apes as base layer character assets, and with 4 generic themed starter areas where all different types of characters (IP based or not) can then co-exist, while also having lands specific to an IP.

Imagine the books and films based on Planet Of The Apes. You’ve seen them in modern environments as well as in jungle settings. That’s my vision for our base layer theme for AOW. And mingled in with that, IP licenses permitting, we would have Yuga, Animoca and similar IP assets all themed according to their designs. I have to admit, it’s going to be great fun to see BAYC apes running around with those Meebits and Mocas.

This is my all-encompassing vision for AOW. And we all get to build it - together.

WHICH WEB3 COMMUNITIES WILL AOW SUPPORT AT LAUNCH?

The AOW will launch with a total of 4 worlds (large land masses) with the 5 community themes listed below. All will be created and featured at NO COST because the costs were already factored into the proposal.

Yuga collections such as Moonbirds, Kodas etc. as well as other comparable NFT communities can be featured as their own worlds and themes if the IP owners wish to later be featured on the ACE platform. That being the case, a themed world will be created, along with imports of the required 3D model avatars. This will come at a cost which will be discussed and negotiated with the relevant parties and IP owners.

As per the above, the platform also allows the creation of either entire themed worlds featuring real-life properties and IP or simple assets such as buildings, banners etc. These will also come at a cost to the relevant parties.

NOTE: Anyone can create an APEID to access the platform and the world, and you do not need to own any of the NFT assets above to enter. If you own one of the featured NFT assets above, it is tied to your APEID, thus allowing you to enter AOW either as the NFT avatar (3D model) or with one of the FREE generic avatars minted for you during the APEID creation process.

WHAT HAS A DEPIN INFRA GOT TO DO WITH ALL THIS?

When you think of online worlds, you think of servers and instances. In most cases, servers can either be your hardware (colo at a datacenter or rented via an online portal) or cloud based.

The AGE supports both types.

However, in the interest of performance and initial costs (cloud computing costs are nuts - and highly unpredictable), we will start off with colo servers because the costs are predictable and largely fixed. The downside is that, say you start off with a 50 servers, but then demand requires additional 20 servers. There is down-time in provisioning those additional servers, as opposed to cloud computing which can auto-scale up/down based on demand. And while you’re getting those servers online, no additional clients are able to enter the world.

The DePIN tech, aside from security and other features, is used for two specific things:

• Server-to-Server cross-connect: This allows you to move from one server cluster to another - seamlessly and without having to logout on one server, have characters on different servers etc.

• Server interoperability: This allows you to move your ApeID powered character and all it’s assets (funds, items, cosmetics etc) from one server world to the next - even if they are different games. Yes - it’s nuts. You could literally take your wizard from a fantasy game and enter an FPS game were people are running around with rifles. And based on specific rules, you can either map the wizard + sword to a marine + rifle or transfer them “in place” with the end result being bearded wizard running around in a world with machine gun fire whizzing about.

The combo of AGE + WSG is what makes the AOW a compelling and seamless environment.

More clients (players) means more servers. More servers means more nodes.

NOTE: Even as I type this, the queue to enter Pirate Nation, currently one of the most popular Web3 games, is 93 mins wait. That’s what happens when you can’t scale on-demand without emptying your bank account.

FYI: While the ACE platform will obviously run its own nodes, the concept of making nodes available for sale to third-party operators removes those costs and responsibilities, while rewarding node operators for running them. And node sales has evolved to become one of the quickest ways to raise funds - without relying on a token.

WHAT IS APEID AND HOW IS IT USED?

I envision the ApeID being an online identity used across various dApps and platforms. Having it tied to a rewards system means that third-parties can incorporate support for it while earning rewards (AOW tokens). This can work in both online and IRL commercial entities.

As ApeChain grows, so too will the ApeID. And with adoption comes growth.

It will also be linked to supported Web3 assets such as those within the Yuga owned and associated collections and IP - including Otherdeeds.

This will be on a tier-based system which will be announced later. e.g. ApeID could come in Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze tiers - each with different reward tiers. e.g. A Platinum ApeID could be tiered to BAYC NFT holders.

Rewards (tokens) are awarded to ApeID holders of the aforementioned assets, as well as through participation (past or present) in ThankApe, Boring Security and other identifiable ApeCoin partners funded through the ApeCoin DAO or the Banana Bill initiative.

ApeID will be used to claim rewards across ApeChain dApps as well as from participating non-digital partnerships e.g. Buying items from participating MBA businesses with your ApeID earns points for both you and the business.

Each claimed and minted ApeID will have a set of referral invite codes which can be distributed to others. Also, claimed referral codes will also yield points for the referring ApeID.

All ApeID holders are automatically eligible for not only the points rewards system, but also the token associated with the ACE platform as well as for operating nodes.

ApeID isn’t a separate proposal because it is useless on its own and without utility. Having written over a dozen proposals these past two weeks, if I found any plausible reason to make it a separate proposal, I would have done so.

Spending close to $1M to build ApeID doesn’t end with its creation because it will also have on-going operational and marketing costs. And even then, by the time it’s completed and there’s nothing to use it for, it will lose engagement momentum. Developing it alongside and a part of AOW is a better engagement funnel because right off the bat, we can use it to reward people for getting one, signing up for AOW etc. For example, see AIP-434 which recently raised $1.1M for OtherPage growth. And that was based on a pre-existing proof-of-concept which they were already running quite well.

Something needs a reason to exist. And without that reason, it’s just wasted funds and resources. Just because you can, doesn’t necessarily mean that you should. Even if it’s someone else’s money.

WHY DO WE NEED ANOTHER TOKEN INSTEAD OF $APE?

We are building an engagement platform that is tied to rewards created to incentivize said engagement.

Using $APE, aside from the fact that we’d then require a liquidity pool of $APE set aside to fund such rewards, defeats the purpose. Also, it not only creates various regulatory problems, but will also completely wreck the economics in AOW which has to ultimately be tied to a new tokenomics model that complements its economics model.

The AOW token (name TBD) isn’t for governance because we’re not getting involved in that particular minefield. And we’re not going to use it as a [primary] funnel for funding.

The token is specifically for utility that is tied to the AOW platform. It’s final tokenomics model will be designed by third-party experts who are better experienced to do it in a manner that sustains the AOW platform.

NOTE: If you wonder why Pirate Nation is currently making over $70K per day, go take a look at the game and their tokenomics model. There’s your answer. Oh, and there’s this too.

1 Like