Considerations for Improving Crypto Adoption, Education & Awareness

I realize the “Education & Activation of Community Members” post was closed, so I thought I’d put this forth. This post is intended to share some thoughts for those who are passionate about organizing IRL events and organizing communities toward the goals of expanding DAO awareness, blockchain tech, and more within our local communities.

I had the pleasure of speaking on a panel of prominent Bay Area black community organizers and crypto enthusiasts last night, and discovered a group based in East Oakland, CA called Bay Area Tech Runs. They’re a group that is committed to growing community awareness of crypto and web3 by hosting IRL events… that subtly “layer in” crypto and crypto education. The idea is the bring the community together around what they already vibe with, and slowly ease them into the tech.

For example, an event they hosted recently was a basketball tournament and cookout. That’s it. Massive turnout, mostly crypto newbies. But all the while, there are people and resources there that casually shift the focus toward crypto while they have an audience and the ways in which it intersects with that particular event (Steph Curry’s Bored Ape, for example, opening up conversations around NFTs and web3). No bait-and-switch as it’s mentioned up-front, but crypto education isn’t the draw: the community event itself is.

I know this isn’t exactly a novel concept, but I for one am guilty of trying to organize a “crypto education” event or two and having virtually no one but my mama show up. The idea is to meet the people where they are and gradually introduce them to the tech. It’s a slow process, but this organization seems to have found some degree of success onboarding new folks of color to the space, and that’s a beautiful thing.

No proposal or anything here, just food for thought for those considering ways to include communities and get them more involved in web3 as AIPs are being written along these lines. There are tons of ways to move the needle, and being aware of the various ways some groups are finding success in these endeavors can only help.

7 Likes

My company Cxmmunity is actually doing exactly this (focus on increasing participation of underserved communities in gaming/tech) with big partners like Riot Games and Microsoft and having major success.

I’m going to be dropping a gaming proposal that brings together the 50 HBCUs we are partnered with and ApeDAO through gaming. Our values seem quite aligned, and I hope to earn your support on it.

7 Likes

100%!! This is brilliant work. Gaming is clearly a huge draw and has quite obvious parallels with the Otherside and other avenues powered by ApeCoin. Super excited to hear more and to read this proposal, Mantis.

Have you seen the work Jackie.eth is doing?

3 Likes

I haven’t. Can you drop her Twitter?

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/jackieleeeth?s=21&t=06pe1fSBTWRoZcmWqkE-qg

2 Likes

Love that you spoke representing the apes at the Oakland panel Chris!! You’ve been a brilliant host at the Bay Area Apes SF meetup and I have no doubt you brought the same energy and vibrance to this event. I’ve met the Bay Area Tech Runs team during an event they organized in Hillsborough, and they’re an amazing crowd, so glad you guys got to connect :cherry_blossom:

There’s really so much we can do in terms of IRL events, both for strengthening community members’ bonds and for engaging the crypto-curious and even enticing the non-curious to want to learn more!

In terms of this would love to loop in @Vulkan who might be planning a local event of his own, and @ssp1111 who authored the IRL events feasibility AIP (AIP-64: APE Coin Festival - Bringing NFT Communities Together) for more thoughts.

The thought of all the crypto IRL events being held that we don’t yet know of excites me though, I wonder if ApeCoin DAO could collaborate with those event hosts as a sponsor or co-host! Might be a creative opportunity to allow us to host more organized, local events with bigger turnout while being more cost efficient- @ssp1111 would love to hear your expert thoughts on this as well :smiley:

Cheers to more ApeCoin DAO events IRL!!

-Halina.eth :cherry_blossom:

7 Likes

Jackie & their family are the ones that won first place for ApeCoin DAO’s sponsor prize in the recent ETH SF hackathon!!

Check out the second tweet for details on their winning game:

6 Likes

The thought of all the crypto IRL events being held that we don’t yet know of excites me though, I wonder if ApeCoin DAO could collaborate with those event hosts as a sponsor or co-host! Might be a creative opportunity to allow us to host more organized, local events with bigger turnout while being more cost efficient-

This was the exact point of the first proposal I put on, the Kickback Cup. Unfortunately, the event took place before the AIP could get to voting (only 29 days runway from when I showed it; just not enough). That event, which the videos from are above I showed @CryptoLogically, was sponsored by Riot Games and Amazon. We got students internships at major companies, we gave them the stage to speak on those things, and we had a great time doing it with platinum, Grammy nominated music acts Pusha T and G Herbo.

We just partnered with Honda for a similar event, centered around gaming.

We are having other events that I will be dropping proposals for (with much more runway), and I hope we can earn everyone’s support and ideas when that happens. Cxmmunity can be a huge part of scaling Apecoin IRL events to AAA status in a shorter amount of time than the DAO could on its own, and for less money. It’s incredibly important to get our colleges connected to web3, and I’d love to do that with Apecoin.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.