Proposal Name: Establish DAO Communications Team and Processes
Proposal Category: Core Ecosystem Fund Allocation
Requested Funds: $525,000 For One Year Of Service
This proposal is intended to establish a formal communications team to maximize positive coverage of the Apecoin ecosystem and further engage participation from stakeholders. The role of the first seven (7) contributors are highlighted below.
Increasing participation and awareness in Apecoin is critical to improving the perception of the DAO. The goal of this team will be to increase the frequency and depth of information being shared publicly, and do so in a way that feels more accessible than current comms channels and approaches.
The flow of information within the DAO is steady, but unfiltered and often unrefined. The communications team can delegate key information to the public in a way that serves the Apecoin community. To ensure that the communication team itself remains incentivized to do the best work and be held accountable for output, a stipend is being recommended as a means of compensating the team.
Moderators: The Cartan Moderator Team
Special Council: Alexis Ohanian, Amy Wu, Dean Steinbeck, Maaria Bajwa, & Yat Siu
The Communications Team has five primary functions to be created with this proposal:
- Moderate an official community-led DAO discussion platform (tbd)
- Schedule and host weekly Twitter spaces for AIPs, social updates, and “Twitter Takeovers”
- Educate voters and the public around the specific nuances of proposals, and assist AIP drafters with building consensus (when appropriate).
- Serve as an open line of communication between the Special Council, Moderators, and Community.
- Actively seek positive coverage about Apecoin developments from media and influencers, as well as proactively run publicity campaigns to generate visibility. Additionally, conduct media training Apecoin spokespeople when needed.
The primary functions of this communications team are explained in more detail below:
1. Moderate an official community-led DAO discussion platform (tbd)
The Communications Team has set up a secure Discord that can be accessed immediately. However, before committing to this option, the team will engage the community to assess if better technical/secure options are available. This discussion platform would include but not be limited to including:
- Dedicated area to provide frameworks/guidelines that will explain the AIP process and what it involves, inclusive of materials that community members can learn from on their own time.
- Recaps of ecosystem projects, multiple newsletters, Twitter Spaces and other key news curated by the comms team
- Private channels that facilitate coordination between working groups and members of the core team
- Areas to chat with members of the community in a less formal way.
2. Schedule and host weekly Twitter spaces for AIPs, social updates, and “Twitter Takeovers”
The Communications Team will host & promote open Twitter Spaces every 1 to 2 weeks. This medium will provide an opportunity for passive consumption of top ecosystem news, and a forum for members of the ecosystem to discuss proposals. Slate of content would include but not be limited to:
Familiar hosts introducing new proposals & provide community updates
Individuals & Team Guests will be invited to pitch proposals to the community
Meaningful conversations including advice & help will be provided live on spaces
Proposals will be subject to constructive criticism through community-led questions
This would also include organizing “Twitter takeover” sessions where someone from the community could tweet/quote tweet for a specified amount of time.
3. Educate voters and the public around the specific nuances of proposals, and assist AIP drafters with building consensus (when appropriate).
The Communications Team will help AIP writers navigate the AIP process through on-demand educational resources as well as in-person sessions.
- Maintain an archive of helpful resources to guide new participants in the AIP submission process, potentially including written content and videos that offer guidance on what the community looks for in proposals
- Holding “office hours” where proposers can be submit ideas privately or publicly for editing and feedback
- Maintain a working document containing reasons proposals are sent back for reconstruction (i.e. there was no request for funding)
- When appropriate, offering proposers assistance in consensus building prior to AIPs going live. Not acting as a “lobbying” arm for proposers, but helping them understand risks and potential obstacles during the public process.
- Members will also help these proposal writers make connections with prominent members of the community & assist in hosting Twitter spaces for awareness.
4. Serve as an open line of communication between the Special Council, Moderators, and Community.
The members of the Communications Team will be invited to attend Special Council meetings as spectators only, unless asked to contribute community feedback during select meetings.
In addition to this, the Communications Team will select a “Facilitator” for coordination w/ the Ape Foundation. This role is designed to bridge communications between the community & entities that operate the DAO, including Moderators & Special Council. The facilitator will be selected by the communications team and be approved by the Special Council. This individual will:
- Act as a point of contact w/ both Moderators and Special Council
- Be responsible for notifying Moderators of additions to or removal from the Communications team
- Approve & submit content / posts to be made on the official Twitter account
5. Actively seek positive coverage about Apecoin developments from media and influencers, as well as proactively run publicity campaigns to generate visibility. Additionally, conduct media training Apecoin spokespeople when needed.
- Maintain and grow a list of contacts within realms of traditional and digital media to help proliferate positive news coverage around ecosystem developments.
- Serve as primary contact for media inquiries about Apecoin activity
- Plan, execute, and measure PR campaigns to increase reach and engagement around Apecoin ecosystem
- As needed, provide key stakeholders and spokespeople with media training prior to public engagements related to Apecoin
Considerations & Compensation Information:
The Communications Team is designed to empower the DAOs most active members.
- Acceptance is based on contributions to date & available funds granted by DAO
- Members enter into a contractual service agreement w/ the Ape Foundation
- Team will use a majority vote system for making decisions impacting the group
- Status as a team member is continued until removed by majority vote within program
The team members are not employees of the DAO or any third party entity. They are contracted to provide the above services for the DAO, including Discord moderation, hosting twitter spaces, and providing proposal assistance to the general public, as outlined in this passing proposal.
Each member is subject to income & tax regulations in their various countries and states.
Team Members Involved:
The Communications Team is made up of the following members from the BAYC/MAYC community & the Apecoin DAO.
This team was selected for their continuous long-term participation in the DAO including assisting w/ proposals, creating newsletters, helping others through unofficial discord channels, and more.
Steps to Implement:
Directs the Ape Foundation to create a contractual agreement for team members
Directs the Ape Foundation to create channels for communicating with the Communications Team
Communications Team members are to be invited to attend Ape Foundation meetings (as spectators only)
Facilitator may additionally ask for general status updates on proposals in process
Directs the Ape Foundation to coordinate with Facilitator on use of Twitter Account
Make available one Moderator to silently host official twitter space ever 1-2 weeks
Twitter spaces will be co-hosted by Communications Team on Thursdays
This proposal is written to cover one (1) year of operations for the Communications Team
The Communications Team will require a total funding cost of $525,000 for one year of operation. Individuals will be compensated monthly by the Ape Foundation as described below.
Seven (7) team members compensated $6,250 (paid out in APE) at the end of each month for one (1) year
Members can be removed from the program by majority vote of the Communications team
The Communications Team is an exploratory reward structure for active members of the DAO to assist with proposals & increase social engagement within the ApeCoin Ecosystem.
Down the road, we also have plans of adding additional qualified people to the Communications team via an Application process.