AIP-187: Expanding web3 Access

Proposal Name: Expanding web3 Access for Social Good: hackathons and learning experiences

Proposal Category: Ecosystem Allocation

Abstract: This grant builds on prior work done by MAYC #16168 to enhance web3 skill sets and expand economic opportunities. In September, 2022, she and a colleague from HUG (a leading web3 technology accelerator) designed and launched Moldova’s first web3 Hackathon and a series of learning experiences for over 500 people in Chisinau, Moldova (see Bored Ape Gazette article and Metalaunchers blog post).

This grant aims to deepen and expand that initial engagement through 1) continued outreach to educators and students to build on the prior engagement in Moldova 2) expand web3 learning experiences to independent media and local entrepreneurs in Moldova, and 3) to launch 3 additional Hackathons in 2023. We seek $71,400 USD to be converted to $Ape upon acceptance of the proposal.

Author Description: I am the Chief Learning Officer for a non-profit organization that promotes entrepreneurship as a lever for economic equity. I have a PhD in Education and an MBA in Entrepreneurship, and have been in the field of education for over 25-years, designing impactful and sustainable learning experiences internationally. I seek to expand networks and promote web3 access for people via Hackathons and other skill-building / learning opportunities.

Motivation:

Moldova is a country in Eastern Europe that experiences pressure from the conflict between Ukraine and Russia; over 600,000 Ukranians have fled to Moldova since March 2022. As tensions increase from the war, we aim to position this project as a way to help Moldovans and Ukrainians in need, and amplify ApeCoin DAO/BAYC’s mission to use web3 as a means for social good. Moldova also fights “brain drain” as lucrative positions open outside of the country and entice local talent. With accelerating rates of technological innovation, Moldova has the opportunity to position itself as a leader in the region on future technologies like web3 and reset expectations for promising career pathways.

We seek to increase equity and access at the local level, continue to build web3 skillsets, and enhance a creative and digital economy. Additionally, building on the success of our initial web3 Hackathon, we seek to replicate and scale the experience to 3 other locations in 2023 in order to promote web3 solutions to authentic problems and expand career pathways / opportunities. In particular, as web3 grows and more people “ape into” the space, the ApeCoin DAO can lead the onboarding charge in historically underrepresented places.

Rationale:

In September, 2022, MAYC #16168 partnered with a colleague from HUG and local Moldovan organizations for a week-long series of Web3-focused events to promote a vibrant culture of creativity and innovation, development and application of career-enhancing skills, and activate Moldovan solutions using web3 and Blockchain technology. With a focus on increasing equity and access at the local level, this project chose Moldova as a pilot setting, in particular as a response to the influx of Ukrainian refugees to this small country with a big heart.

Now, with proof of concept from the initial experience that education and workforce development can have a strong impact (especially in a small country like Moldova), this is an opportunity to deepen the Ape Community’s mission to steward web3 growth and development across sectors: education, independent media, and entrepreneurship. We seek to create a week-long series of events in collaboration with several local partner organizations in order to continue promoting capacity-building and sustainability: MediaCor, ArtCor, Yep!Moldova, and leaders from Future Technology Activities (a USAID-funded initiative). We would be grateful for the support of the APECoin DAO to contribute to the continued positive impact towards skill-building and economic opportunities for Moldovans and Ukrainian refugees.

Specifically, we will serve as ambassadors of the ApeCoin DAO and promote web3 for social good. This positions ApeCoin DAO on the front lines to impact promising pathways for hundreds of people, with an extended ripple effect.

In addition to deepening the work in Moldova, we plan to replicate / scale the Hackathon model we developed and bring it to new locations (likely Honduras, Kenya, and Ghana, where we have relationships and there is identified interest). This aligns with the ApeCoin DAO’s commitment to support hackathons and building with ApeCoin (see AIP-96, Public Goods Funding). We have a core 3-day Hackathon framework that can be adapted across contexts and plan to include BAYC/MAYC/ApeCoin DAO experts to support workshops and serve as panelists to select promising ideas for further development.

Specifications:

1. HUG.xyz and mirror.xyz

2. Zoom (for remote workshops, mentoring, and/or panel discussions)

Steps to Implement and Timeline:

Beginning in Jan, 2022, MAYC #16168 and her colleague/co-designer will meet with key stakeholders to co-plan a week of events in Moldova, including leaders from Future Technology Activity, USAID, and local partner organizations MediaCor, ArtCor, and YEP!Moldova. We will devise high level and detailed agendas for each of the learning experiences, and reach out to networks to identify experts and mentors to provide technical workshops and support, both virtually and in-person (e.g.: Bored Ape Gazette Editor in chief and key ApeCoin DAO/BAYC/MAYC members).

By April, 2023, MAYC #16168 and her colleague/co-designer will return to Moldova for one week to provide workshops, meet with stakeholders, and set up long term sustainable engagement with Moldovans and individuals in the international technology sector. Moldovan creators will be invited to continue mentorship with HUG, a leading web3 technology accelerator, over the course of three months to help Moldovan creators form communities with a common cultural cause that allows users to be active participants and make decisions. Those creators will be featured on HUG’s social and curation discovery platform, and further highlighted on social channels (combined social reach of 300K) to engage the international community beyond Moldova.

Additionally, by March, 2023, MAYC#16168 and her co-designer will identify 3 additional locations to launch web3 Hackathons throughout 2023 (likely Honduras, Kenya, and Ghana). We will work with partners to support key location-specific requirements, including: space to host, communication/publicity, registration, technology, and other responsibilities. In turn, we will bring a successful Hackathon model, facilitation, mentors/experts, and prizes for winning teams.

Timeline:

2022/2023 Action
Jan. 2022 Initiate weekly meetings between with Moldovan stakeholders to co-design and implement March-April workshops
March or April 2023 One week on the ground workshops in Moldova with educators/students; entrepreneurs, and independent media (in collaboration with local organizations)
March 2023 Identify 3 locations for Hackathons, including local partners, locations / partnership responsibilities
April - June 2023 Ongoing mentorship for creators including conversations on HUG social channels, helping them establish creator marketplaces to build communities within and outside of Moldova.

Write Executive summary paper to share learnings from the experience

Collaborate with Bored Ape Gazette to feature impact from the experience in an article to share with and beyond BAYC community|
|May - Dec 2023|Launch 3 Hackathons (locations TBD; likely where we have existing relationships and identified need/interest: Honduras, Kenya, Ghana)|
|August 2023|Develop and submit proposal for SXSW to share learning and engage others in designing / replicating Hackathons, workshops, and sustaining Web3 innovation in other contexts|

Proposed Budget

Item Detailed Costs
Design & Development Weekly meetings Jan – March with Moldovan stakeholders to co-design

Development of workshops and materials, including high level and detailed agendas

Outreach to mentors, experts to support

Workshop implementation and on the ground support + executive summary and final reports

$10,000; estimate 8+ hours per week for development|
|Travel + Per Diem (2 people)|Flights + Hotel + Food (all approximate):

Flights: $1,400 each

Hotel: $1,200 each

Food $50/day

Total: $5900|
|Honorariums for Mentors/Experts (Zoom) and locals (Moldova)|Approximately 5-7 people ($350 – 500); Total: $3500 (approximate)|
|3-month Mentorship| April-June 2023

Ongoing mentorship for creators (3-4 creators/teams): personal mentorship from the HUG Team for3-months. This incubator begins with a four-week intensive curriculum that engages other web3 projects from around the world. Mentorship includes training in customer/community discovery, brand development, media planning, go-to-market strategy, and more.

Total: $15,000 (approximate)|

|Hackathon Development and Launch (3 additional in 2023)|Airfare / Hotel / Food: approximately $14,000 (see above estimate)

Weekly meetings with local orgs/people to support and tailoring of existing Hackathon framework: 5+ hours per week over 2-3 months: $15,000

Honorariums for experts/mentors (for 3 additional Hackathons): $350 - $500, Total: $8,000 (approximate)

Total: $37,000|
|Total|$71,400 converted to APE when the proposal passes|

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Thank you @NFTxExplore for your ideas. A moderator will get in touch with you to draft the AIP in the appropriate template. Once the AIP is drafted and meets all the DAO-approved guidelines, the proposal will be posted on Snapshot for live official voting at: Snapshot

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. @NFTxExplore please see your messages for the next steps.

- river

4 Likes

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@NFTxExplore has completed editing their AIP Idea to be their AIP Draft.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

- river

1 Like

Our team has reviewed and discussed @NFTxExplore’s AIP Draft and have sent a list of initial questions. We await answers.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

@NFTxExplore has responded to our questions and they are in our review once again.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

We have sent a list of follow up questions. We await answers.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

Hi there! Hope you enjoyed the holidays. Just wanted to confirm receipt of my responses and see whether you or others have additional questions. Thanks for your diligence!

@NFTxExplore has responded to our questions and they are in our review once again.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

1 Like

Hello everyone,

Just an update to inform that we have sent a third list of questions to @NFTxExplore and will await response. 2 questions again this time, please let us know if we can be of any assistance in the responses.

Best,
-mallard

2 Likes

Kind Regards,

-river

1 Like

Hi there and Happy Friday! Just wanted to follow up to see whether you or others have questions about my prior responses or require additional information. Please let me know, and thanks for shepherding this process.

I really like the idea of empowering people through learning and technology. I had a couple of thoughts/Questions:

1. Branding: I assume that if this had the support of the DAO, it would amount to sponsorship and the events would be ApeCoin branded? It would be great to maximise the impact of ApeCoin’s role in supporting Web3

2. Tech selection: Advancing the utility of $APE and the use of the protocol is important. How would this be integrated into the workshops?

3. Locations: It is great that you have targeted Moldova, Central America and Africa but rather than two African locations would you consider Asia to make the reach truly global?

I really like supporting learning and development as a means of social good and extending the developer base of ETH and the ApeCoin protocol.
Thanks
St01c

3 Likes

Thanks, @StoicDegen! Appreciate the read and your questions, and I’ve responded below. Happy to continue the dialogue, and let me know if you have other thoughts or feedback.

1. Yes! I’d position ApeCoin as a sponsor of the events to - as you said - maximize impact of ApeCoin’s role in supporting web3; plus, ApeCoin could be positioned as a champion for social impact.

2. Important point about advancing $APE utility and protocol, and I do plan to integrate this into workshops. I’ll be reaching out to ApeCoin DAO community members, BAYC/MAYC for experts to help facilitate particular workshops and/or to serve as mentors.

3. Love this idea to expand geographies. I have been considering site selection and initially identified these locations based on 4 criteria: social impact, alignment, networks, and capacity, which I explain below. However, there are countries other than Honduras, Kenya, and Ghana that meet these criteria, and Asia would make this more equitable and global.

• Social Impact: in the prior Hackathon and learning experiences I designed/facilitated in Moldova, the location was selected for a number of reasons, including its proximity to Ukraine and the influx of refugees; my work in education and entrepreneurship have been driven by social impact. Additionally, the ministry of education and local organizations have an interest in a) retaining quality talent and promoting economic opportunities, b) seeking creative solutions to infrastructure challenges (education, healthcare, and other social services), and c) targeting initiatives focused on digital literacy/tech upskilling, including web3, to promote access and equity.
  • Alignment: next round of Hackathons / learning experiences, I’m seeking countries that have a similar profile in terms of a-c above: those that seek to address authentic challenges, retain strong talent within a country by skill-building and education focused on digital literacy, web3 technology, and that seek innovative solutions. The thread across each country is the focus on equity via education and technology skill-building.
  • Networks: because of prior global education/entrepreneurship and NGO (non-government organization) work that my colleague and I have engaged in, we have had conversations with colleagues in various countries who have expressed both need and interest for similar learning experiences that promote digital-literacy, exposure to web3 technology, and opportunities for students and entrepreneurs to pursue economic opportunities via web3. The networks we’ve connected with that have indicated readiness and alignment are in Honduras, Kenya, and Ghana.
  • Capacity: in Moldova, we relied on local organizations to provide support, including: securing a location for the Hackathon, recruitment of participants, communications/media coverage, and some materials; in Honduras, Kenya, and Ghana, we also have contacts that can provide similar on-the-ground support to help events run smoothly.
1 Like

Heyo @NFTxExplore,

Anytime there’s an IRL Events component to an idea or draft or AIP, I am compelled to jump in :laughing:.

First, I sure hope this AIP makes it through. We had set aside 1.2% of the treasury for events in our 2022 budget and spent less than 0.025%. I sure hope the Working Groups set aside a comparable budget for 2023.

Regardless if this passes or not, we sure could use your boots-on-the-ground in cities we currently do not have in our Decentralized IRL Events Network proposal - we’re aggregating best practices from organizers from all over and connecting to master calendars, events directory, mobile apps, ticketing and tech, etc… At least that’s the plan :nerd_face:

Join us in the events channel in the ApeCoin DAO Discord to keep the conversation alive.

Wish you all the best in this endeavour.

Cheers
SSP✊🏽

1 Like

Thanks, @ssp1111! Fingers crossed on this proposal.

My earlier event in Moldova was so powerful, and a real catalyst for creators, educators/students, and entrepreneurs! I’d love to continue to promote equity, access, and education through the ApeCoin DAO!

Appreciate you pointing me to the Decentralized IRL Events Network proposal and I’ll join the DAO’s Discord events channel, too! Love to geek out on this with you and others!

Onward!

1 Like

@ssp1111 – thanks for pointing me to the Decentralized IRL Events Network proposal; I also read the feasibility study (with interest!). Quick question: where can I find the ApeCoin Dao Discord link? Appreciate your help!

Heyo – @NFTxExplore – here it is:

2 Likes

Right on! Thank you.

1 Like