AIP-299: ApeCoin merch for the ApeFest

Proposal Name
ApeCoin merch for the ApeFest

Proposal Category
Ecosystem Fund Allocation

Abstract
I would like the ApeCoin DAO to give away (for free) ApeCoin DAO merch to Ape Fest participants meeting some criteria. This is aimed to increase the awareness about, and participation in, the DAO among the wider Yuga ecosystem.

Author Description
I’m a bot developer and have worked with many notable NFT projects in various capacities. I have advised two projects about merch. The research phase involved talking to several NFT project teams who had issued merch to their communities and understanding their pain points, what worked etc. I have also spoken to a couple of turnkey merch service providers which are popular in the NFT space.

Team Description
Not applicable

Motivation

• The participation in our DAO is significantly lower than the desired level.
  • The DAO has not experimented with merch in a meaningful way yet.
  • People love merch.
  • Good quality merch provides a great return on investment.

This AIP intends to address all of these.

This can also be treated like an MVP for future merch activations.

Rationale
This AIP proposes doing a small merch run which will be distributed during the ApeFest. This will minimize the shipping cost as the entire merch package can be sent to one (or two) volunteers in HK.

We can give away merch to participants only if they meet all of these conditions:

1. Assembly role in the ApeCoin DAO discord
  2. Attending ApeFest

This will ensure that a small merch batch will be sufficient and our costs are minimal. These conditions will also ensure that only the most enthusiastic participants in the ecosystem are rewarded.

Benefit to ApeCoin Ecosystem

• Increase participation meaningfully among the most enthusiastic audience (ApeFest attendance is a good proxy for enthusiasm for the ecosystem and “meaningful participation” can be ascertained by linking our giveaway to apply only to Trust Level 2 holders).

• Word of mouth - Imagine this conversation repeated 100+ times at ApeFest. “That’s a great tshirt/ cap, where did you get it?” “I got it from the ApeCoin DAO because I’m active in the ApeCoin discord.” “Wow, I didn’t even know something like it existed.”

• Minimal cost: We can have a control over quality and costs. We could get something basic (but good quality) for $80 per person (cap + hoodie + t-shirt). Limiting to 100 merch bundles, the total cost would be ~$8k.

Steps to implement, timeline

• Stage 1: If this AIP gets approved, the initial outlay required will be ~$300. These funds will be used to procure and ship merch samples (plain, uncustomized) to 3 different users for their feedback. If the quality is found to be satisfactory, we can proceed further. If it is not satisfactory, this AIP can be deemed completed or failed and no further disbursement or work will be done on this.

• Stage 2: Assuming we proceed, we can reserve one week for merch design. From 2-3 designs for each product, the final designs can be decided through a discord vote among Ape Assembly members. Eligible users would need to DM me on this forum to claim their merch kits. Once 50 kits are claimed by eligible users (1 kit = 1 cap + 1 hoodie + 1 t-shirt), we can place an order to procure and ship these. A payment of $4k will be required at this point.

• Stage 3: At this point, we can take another vote in the Ape Assembly on whether we should do another run of 50 merch kits. (We would not need another batch if the 50th merch kit gets claimed with just a couple of weeks to go for the ApeFest, for example). If the vote does pass, we can place an order for the remainder of the merch kits which are claimed till 1 month before the ApeFest. The final payment at this point would be 80 * the number of kits to be ordered.

Overall Cost
A maximum cost of $8,300

I understand that the ApeCoin discord server is not a Foundation asset and that dependence on it would require approval by the ApeCoin DAO Discord moderation team.

5 Likes

Hey Normie,

If you haven’t already, feel free to consider the feedback and questions from the community in the comments to these posts to help you shape your idea - maybe even reach out to the authors to see if there’s an opportunity to collab:

As you can see, lots of like-minded members in the DAO that together could be a mighty collective.

Also, AIP-246 Marketing & Communications Working Group may also be a good place to integrate your ideas, etc.

Good luck - see you in the Discords and ApeComms Spaces

SSP :call_me_hand:t4:

5 Likes

Most of these AIPs seem much bigger in scope. I envisage this to be a very focused and much smaller initiative than the ones you shared.

4 Likes

We are trying to meet as a DAO there, would be so cool if we got merch:

1 Like

Nice. I think our AIP ideas can be a good reinforcing loop for each other.

If this AIP does get approved, the merch handover should actually happen during the meetup you mentioned.

2 Likes

Cool idea. Wish there was time to do that for the mutant event at the end of August too :slight_smile:

1 Like

As someone who has done this type of thing time and time again for my various games, it’s a great way to spread the word and to engage people at various events. We’ve done t-shirts, pens, writing pads, cups - even socks! We give them at our booths (E3, GDC, ComicCon, GamesCon etc), as well as outside the event spaces, for which we hire local people to hand them out.

1 Like

If my AIP gets passed, I’m happy to work on creating an ApeFest x ApeCoin DAO Design.

2 Likes

What’s the URL to your AIP?

1 Like

Still in AIP Admin Review currently.

1 Like

Hi @normie ,

Your topic will be moving to the AIP Draft phase in 24 hours. Are you content with the feedback received or do you wish to extend community discussion for another 7 days?

If we do not hear from you within 48 hours after your topic closes, your topic will be moved straight to the AIP Draft process.

We look forward to hearing from you.

-12GAUGE

Hi @normie ,

Thank you for your ideas [and the ApeCoin DAO community for the thoughtful discussions]. A moderator will get in touch with the author to draft the AIP in the appropriate template. Once the AIP is drafted and meets all the DAO-approved guidelines, the proposal will be posted on Snapshot for live official voting at: Snapshot

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. @normie please see your messages for the next steps.

-12GAUGE

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@normie has completed editing their AIP Idea to be their AIP Draft.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-12GAUGE

Our team has reviewed and discussed @normie 's AIP Draft and have sent a list of initial questions. We await answers.

Kind Regards,

-12GAUGE

@normie has responded to our questions and has provided consent to share them in this forum for the community.

1. Is the Ape Foundation expected to engage in any of the steps of the AIP implementation? If so, please specify the steps and elaborate on how it is expected to work.
The Ape Foundation is not expected to engage in any of the steps of the implementation.

2. How will the selection process for the 3 individuals responsible for quality control be determined?
I will ask the Governance stewards for their view on this. They may volunteer or may point out volunteers who they think are a good choice for this. If they do not mind taking this responsibility, I will ask them to select 3 individuals themselves, thereby eliminating the possibility of bias.

3. Is there an alternative plan if a Hong Kong volunteer cant be sourced or if they don’t have space to accommodate these kits?
Yes, I have some acquaintances in HK who will help with the storage and transport (from their home to ApeFest), if required.

4. Can you please provide more details regarding Discord Moderators and Merch Support Tickets?
There is a support ticket functionality in the ApeCoin discord. I can either (whatever the moderators prefer) ask ApeCoin moderators to add me to all merch tickets or train them how to handle these tickets themselves (adding users’ discord name, preferred size and gender in a Google sheet).

5. Will you be collecting any user data during the claim process? If so, please elaborate.
No, I will not be collecting any user data other than what is required for merch procurement and delivery - users’ discord name, preferred size and gender.

6. Will you be organizing the Ape Assembly votes, or do you need assistance from the Governance Stewards?
The votes will be short, simple and self-explanatory. I will share my initial draft with the Governance Stewards for feedback (at the appropriate milestones) and request them to post it in the appropriate channel.

7. How will the success of the proposed initiatives be measured and evaluated?
This is very difficult to measure given the higher order effects involved (high quality merch lasts for years; users will wear this for multiple events, including ApeFest). But if we are able to add 20+ new users to the Ape Assembly due to this initiative, I would call it a success.

It will be difficult to check who joined our discord for what reason. But we can try a custom discord invite link to track, if you think that’s appropriate.

8. Do you provide consent to share these questions with the community in this forum?
Yes, please feel free to share these questions and my responses with the community.

A DAR package is being worked on and upon completion this AIP will move into Administrative Review. Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-12GAUGE

We have no further questions for @normie . This AIP is now under Administrative Review.

Kind Regards,

-12GAUGE

After review, this Topic submitted by @normie is ready for vote under AIP-299. The proposal will be posted on Snapshot at the next weekly release date and time, which is every Thursday at 9PM EST.

The AIP implementation is administered by the Ape Foundation. Implementation may be immaterially or materially altered to optimise for security, usability, to protect APE holders, and otherwise to effect the intent of the AIP. Any material deviations from an AIP, as initially approved, will be disclosed to the APE holder community.

Kind Regards,

-@Facilitators

1 Like

This proposal is live for vote on Snapshot. The voting period closes next Wednesday at 9PM EST.

The AIP implementation is administered by the Ape Foundation. Implementation may be immaterially or materially altered to optimize for security, usability, to protect APE holders, and otherwise to effect the intent of the AIP. Any material deviations from an AIP, as initially approved, will be disclosed to the APE holder community.