Enable DAO Wide Voting for Working Group Stewards
The ApeCoin DAO Governance Working Group is stewarded by Amplify, ALL CITY, and Tigerisfine.
The purpose of this proposal is to give voting rights back to the broader ApeCoinDAO community and its delegations for Working Group Steward positions.
The Ape Assembly was established as a Governance Working Group Initiative outlined in AIP-239, aiming to facilitate Working Group Steward elections. However, with as few as twenty active voters in recent weeks, there are growing concerns about the legitimacy that those elections would carry. Furthermore, we need Stewards who have experience in conducting significant outreach within the ApeCoin DAO community, which only DAO-wide campaigns can provide.
Currently, there will be four new Stewards elected in the upcoming Metaverse and Marketing and Communications Working Group elections scheduled to commence Nov 1, 2023, with approval to execute critical functions for the DAO moving forward.
To address these issues and enhance overall voting participation, this proposal recommends shifting future Working Group Steward elections from the Ape Assembly to a tried and true DAO-wide voting structure.
Benefit to the ApeCoin Ecosystem:
This AIP benefits the ApeCoin ecosystem by ensuring that Working Groups meet their mandates of providing critical functions and services to the DAO, and continuing to provide a voice for the broader ApeCoin DAO community through their ability to vote, while maintaining consistency with all other elections.
This AIP adheres to the DAO’s values of Collective Responsibility and Boldness by taking decisive action to address this issue of representation in Working Group Steward elections, and working towards progress over perfection.
Key Terms: None
Platforms and Technologies:
Nominations will happen on Discourse, and the elections will take place on the ApeCoin.eth snapshot space.
Steps to Implement and Timeline:
In order to address some of the gaps left behind by removing the Ape Assembly’s ability to facilitate elections, the following additional rules will be implemented:
DAO Secretary Position:
The DAO Secretary role will no longer be subject to the Ape Assembly process. Instead, it will remain an Initiative within the scope of Governance with the following additional rules in place:
- At the start of each Term, starting July 1st, 2024, the current Stewards of each working group shall collaborate to appoint an individual who will serve as the DAO Secretary.
- The Secretary may be appointed or removed from that role at any time by a majority vote of all elected Stewards in a given Term with the outcome of that vote communicated in the ApeCoin DAO governance forum.
- The Secretary will remain in that position, as Secretary of the DAO, from the date of appointment until the end of a given Term or until the date at which they are removed from that position in accordance with rule 2 above.
The Ape Assembly:
- Working Group Stewards will be elected by a DAO wide vote.
- The Ape Assembly will be formed as a committee to support and advise Working Groups.
- Criteria to join is no longer applicable. Anyone with 1 APE is welcome to participate.
- In the event that a Steward is removed, steps down, or is unable to continue as a Steward, for whatever reason, prior to the end of a Term, a new election must be held to fill any vacant Steward positions.
- In the event that nominations or elections for Stewards are delayed, the nomination process and/or elections shall take place as soon as is practicable after the missed Nomination Window or missed Election Window.
The timeline and nominations process for Working Group Stewards has already been announced here: The Metaverse Working Group and the Marketing & Communications Working Group Elections Timing
Given the existing timeline, and the additional rules outlined above, the only material change to Working Group Steward Elections is that they will be on the ApeCoin.eth Snapshot space for the entire DAO to vote on.