AIP-66: ApeCoin Newsletter - Ecosystem Fund Allocation

Abstract

We believe that an ApeCoin newsletter that is developed and distributed by the community would be a beneficial source of information for members of the DAO. The newsletter could be developed on Substack, Ghost, MailChimp or a similar platform. It should be an aggregation of ApeCoin specific ecosystem news, AIPs, conversations, opportunities and content sourced from Discourse, Discord, Twitter and other internet destinations. The newsletter should promote and educate all things related to the ApeCoin DAO.

Motivation

The motivation behind this idea is to help the community develop trusted sources of information from decentralized channels and provide benefits beyond a single information source.

Rationale

We know of multiple ad hoc channels across the internet and it would be great to provide some funding to them so they can expand their reach and dedicate more resources to spreading ApeCoin ecosystem and DAO news.

Specifications

The person / team implementing this AIP would need a platform to collect email addresses and distribute a branded newsletter. Some platforms they could use are Substack, Ghost, MailChimp or something similar.

It would be cool if the chosen team could implement some functionality whereby subscribers would be required to sign a message (WalletConnect, MetaMask) with an address that has at least one ApeCoin in it.

The ApeCoin Foundation will not be approving the content of these newsletters, we believe the community is best positioned to decide what content is best for itself.

Steps to Implement

This AIP will go through the same approval process as all other AIPs. It will start with this post and the 7 day comment period, we will then draft a proposal for the ApeCoin Foundation for further analysis, it will go to the Special Council for review and finally the community will vote on it via SnapShot.

If this AIP is passed, we will start a new thread where teams can nominate themselves to take on this project. Please include a link to any social media or communication channels you currently operate and how big your follower base is. We will select the top 3 nominations using the following criteria:

How many likes your comment has by users that have been on Discourse for longer than 5 days.

The team(s) selected to participate in this AIP will be subject to agreeing to an ApeCoin Grant Agreement.

Timeline

Over the course of one year, every month that you deliver two newsletters (every other week), the ApeCoin Foundation will send you 400 ApeCoin.

Overall Cost

For each team that is selected, the ApeCoin Foundation will send 400 ApeCoin per month. Criteria each month will be two newsletters distributed to their subscribers. The ApeCoin Foundation will validate every month that the team has sent two newsletters.

We suggest capping the time for this idea to one year. At this point, the newsletter may be continued via a new AIP. Hopefully, teams will have built up a large enough audience at the end of one year that they can have a self-sustaining business model.

Proposals submitted to the AIP Ideas category can be vague, incomplete ideas. Topics submitted here are not required to be submitted as a formal AIP Draft Template, however, you may still use the template if you wish.

10 Likes

I like the idea of a newsletter, it can be hard to keep track of everything that is going on and I am sure that there are builders or apecoin integrations that could do with the promotion.

I also like that you are trying to decentralise and incentivise the community to create the content and distribution. One concern I had is that if the content is unreviewed how do we stop scammers or control quality relative to the 200 Ape payment?

9 Likes

hi @StoicDegen

Thanks for the feedback, I had two thoughts on quality control.

The first is, I think we should provide a small amount of trust that well intentioned people will prevail in successfully being selected via the proposed process “How many likes your comment has by users that have been on Discourse for longer than 5 days”. We are happy to adjust the selection process if there is a better way.

The second thought is, we can always propose a new AIP to cut funding to the program (or too a specific content creator) if we believe someone is not acting in the best interests of the community.

bc.

3 Likes

I voted YES on this because after spending time reaching out to several BAYC about our recent $APE proposal a lot of them didn’t even know we had a live DAO lol and were having a hard time learning how to vote yes. I think just the small summaries of everything going on going directly to all YugaLabs NFT owners would be massive and much needed.

4 Likes

I think this is a great idea. I have been writing medium articles on the different proposals that have come through so far and would love an opportunity to be a part of a team that writes a newsletter for our DAO.

medium.com/@redvulkan

7 Likes

Had the same problem.

Love the idea in general, but I would support with double efforts a newsletter that will promote explanations of proposals, education on how to vote and make proposals, also to motivate participation in decision making. We have just enormous opportunities, but the activity is very low.

5 Likes

Agree. Activity needs to be elevated. This way could be helpful

3 Likes

would be great to have someone just focused on time-sensitive AIP only for the newsletter. Perhaps it could eventually be it’s own sub-newsletter along side the normal bi-weekly.

4 Likes

Really like this idea. I like the additional wallet connect, maybe for token gated access to exclusive deals/content/access/wl for ApeCoin holders. We make it free and welcome anyone who wants to learn. We can automate a lot of the onboarding welcome emails and some of the flows that help teach others about our ecosystem. Tons of things we can do while keeping it simple. Down to collab on this.

6 Likes

would also be cool to have a section in the newsletter that includes the best posts, ideas, and accomplishments from Apecoin community members from the past couple of weeks. Kind of like a “kudos” section where we can highlight the cool things members are working on

Here is a quick summary of what has been mentioned in this thread so far:

-Apecoin news (from Twitter, Discord, Discourse, etc.)
-Explanations/analysis on each proposal
-Best posts/accomplishments from community members from past couple of weeks
-Education on things like how to vote and make proposals (link to those threads we have in here)
-Motivate Participation

5 Likes

Hi @bc,

Your topic will be automatically closing in less than 24 hours. Are you content with the feedback received, or do you wish to extend community discussion for a further 7 days?

We look forward to hearing from you.

- river

1 Like

I am happy with the feedback received and will submit a draft once the topic is closed

3 Likes

Just a quick thought – any inkling to connect with BoredApeGazette?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

yep, Bored Ape Gazette: Ape Coin Media/ BAYC News

1 Like

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@bc has completed editing their AIP Idea to be their AIP Draft.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

- river

2 Likes

Our team has reviewed and discussed @bc 's AIP Draft and have sent a list of initial questions. We await answers.

Kind Regards,

-moonkt

@bc has responded to our questions and they are in our review.

Kind Regards,

-moonkt

We have no further questions for @bc . This AIP is now in the AIP Moderation phase.

Kind Regards,

-moonkt